Cypriot leaders are in Brussels for last ditch talks to avert the country’s financial collapse.
It comes after its parliament voted to restructure the island’s banks, into so-called “good and bad” lenders and set up a “national solidarity fund”.
Moves to impose a big levy on bank depositors are yet to be approved. But a dramatic u-turn is expected to avert the threat of financial meltdown as Cyprus faces a Monday deadline to clinch a 10 billion euro bailout or have its emergency funding cut off.
The turnaround came after Russia rebuffed Cypriot entreaties to help its banks, where Russian citizens and other foreigners have billions of euros at stake.
A government official, who declined to be named, said
Cypriot officials were to hold talks with representatives from
the so-called ‘troika’ of lenders – the EU, ECB and
International Monetary Fund – on Saturday morning.
Cypriots have been enraged by plans to hit small holdings of ordinary savers as well as large depositors. Parliament will hold a crucial sitting to decide the matter after EU finance minister meet on Sunday.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters