Berlin became a Mecca for musicians for one night as the annual Echo Awards were handed out to the great and the glamorous.
Among them American singer Lana Del Rey, who took two awards including ‘Best International Newcomer’.
Punk band Die Toten Hosen took the prize for ‘Best German rock/pop Group’ and Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones accepted a life time achievement gong on behalf of the band.
“As long as we can be an inspiration, either as a group or individually or whatever… I mean as far as I’m concerned, that is my life time achievement: that people will be inspired by the music,” said guitarist Jimmy Page.
Other winners included Lena Meyer-Landrut’s Stardust which won Best National Video and Ivy Quainoo picked up ‘Best National Female Artist’.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko arrives in Kyiv in prisoner swap with Russia
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Wires > News
- 14:50 CET Clearout of Greek refugee camp should reopen economic artery
- 14:47 CET Moscow frees Ukraine pilot in swap for Russians held in conflict
- 14:40 CET Retired Burundian officer killed amid tension over presidency
- 14:32 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 14:20 CET Radio Free Europe journalist freed from jail in Azerbaijan
- 14:17 CET Top Shi’ite cleric urges restraint in assault on Iraq’s Falluja
- 14:15 CET U.S.-backed Syrian militias not preparing assault on Islamic State…
- 14:09 CET Trump unlikely to be able to renegotiate climate deal – …