The end of President Barack Obama’s visit to Israel coincided with an historic apology…
It was made by the Israeli government to Turkey for the killing of nine of its citizens during a raid on an aide flotilla to Gaza three years ago.
The surprise breakthrough rates as a diplomatic success for Obama.
In Istanbul reaction was positive especially news of Israeli intentions to compensate the families of the nine victims.
“Israel has apologised for such an incident for the very first time in the world history. This is a major political and diplomatic victory,“said Bulent Yildirim, Chairman of the Humanitarian Relief Foundation.
The storming of the flotilla by Israeli commandos as it tried to break the Israeli blockade to the Palestinian territory caused a major rift between the two countries.
The unexpected rapprochement could help regional coordination to contain the spillover from the Syrian civil war and ease Israel’s diplomatic isolation in the region.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 19:25 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture in Libyan capital
- 18:58 CET Five die, six injured in explosion at Spanish fireworks factory
- 18:04 CET Merkel says would welcome constructive Iranian role in any Syria…
- 17:46 CET France to build Calais camp for 1,500 migrants
- 17:28 CET Guardsman killed in protests as Ukraine MPs back more autonomy for…
- 16:34 CET U.N. climate talks begin divided, but with hope for Paris accord
- 16:02 CET Greece’s ‘invisible negotiator’ may assuage bailout fears in…
- 15:49 CET Taliban say keeping leader’s death secret was a military decision