The end of President Barack Obama’s visit to Israel coincided with an historic apology…
It was made by the Israeli government to Turkey for the killing of nine of its citizens during a raid on an aide flotilla to Gaza three years ago.
The surprise breakthrough rates as a diplomatic success for Obama.
In Istanbul reaction was positive especially news of Israeli intentions to compensate the families of the nine victims.
“Israel has apologised for such an incident for the very first time in the world history. This is a major political and diplomatic victory,“said Bulent Yildirim, Chairman of the Humanitarian Relief Foundation.
The storming of the flotilla by Israeli commandos as it tried to break the Israeli blockade to the Palestinian territory caused a major rift between the two countries.
The unexpected rapprochement could help regional coordination to contain the spillover from the Syrian civil war and ease Israel’s diplomatic isolation in the region.
Latest world news
Labour election losses in Scotland deliver big blow to Corbyn
US House Speaker Paul Ryan ‘not ready’ to back Trump
Turkey: Davutoglu departure raises concerns over authoritarianism
Deadly flare-up in violence as Israel finds Gaza tunnel
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Wires > News
- 05:10 CET Exclusive – Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: ‘To stop…
- 04:06 CET Singapore, Australia to jointly develop military training areas
- 03:57 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, U.S. condemns Assad statement
- 02:13 CET Obama, Mexican president discuss immigration, anti-drugs fight -…
- 01:59 CET Philippine fishermen favour strong president to end China’s…
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article