The end of President Barack Obama’s visit to Israel coincided with an historic apology…
It was made by the Israeli government to Turkey for the killing of nine of its citizens during a raid on an aide flotilla to Gaza three years ago.
The surprise breakthrough rates as a diplomatic success for Obama.
In Istanbul reaction was positive especially news of Israeli intentions to compensate the families of the nine victims.
“Israel has apologised for such an incident for the very first time in the world history. This is a major political and diplomatic victory,“said Bulent Yildirim, Chairman of the Humanitarian Relief Foundation.
The storming of the flotilla by Israeli commandos as it tried to break the Israeli blockade to the Palestinian territory caused a major rift between the two countries.
The unexpected rapprochement could help regional coordination to contain the spillover from the Syrian civil war and ease Israel’s diplomatic isolation in the region.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 20:40 CET South Sudan forces, armed groups clash, displacing civilians – U.N
- 20:15 CET Belgium arrests two over ‘terrorist’ activity
- 19:58 CET Nine drown when boat capsizes in Kenya
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…