The end of President Barack Obama’s visit to Israel coincided with an historic apology…
It was made by the Israeli government to Turkey for the killing of nine of its citizens during a raid on an aide flotilla to Gaza three years ago.
The surprise breakthrough rates as a diplomatic success for Obama.
In Istanbul reaction was positive especially news of Israeli intentions to compensate the families of the nine victims.
“Israel has apologised for such an incident for the very first time in the world history. This is a major political and diplomatic victory,“said Bulent Yildirim, Chairman of the Humanitarian Relief Foundation.
The storming of the flotilla by Israeli commandos as it tried to break the Israeli blockade to the Palestinian territory caused a major rift between the two countries.
The unexpected rapprochement could help regional coordination to contain the spillover from the Syrian civil war and ease Israel’s diplomatic isolation in the region.
- 1ISIL militants come under attack on two fronts in Iraq
- 2German MP suffers ‘cake attack’ over refugee stance
- 3More storms on the horizon as lightning strikes Europe
- 4The fight for Europe’s soul is continuing, say Merkel and Hollande on Verdun anniversary
- 5700 may have perished in the Mediterranean last week – UNHCR
Wires > News
- 05:54 CET New photo of Japanese hostage appears with message pleading for…
- 02:50 CET Syrian opposition negotiator quits after peace talks’ failure
- 22:25 CET Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage
- 21:30 CET Rubio warms to Trump, but won’t be his vice president
- 21:25 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah dissolves parliament, names caretaker PM
- 20:43 CET Brother of man killed in U.S. strike on Taliban chief files police…
- 19:09 CET U.N. concerned about rising political tensions in Cambodia
- 19:03 CET Five U.N. soldiers killed in central Mali attack