22/03/13 01:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been placed under formal investigation in relation to a case involving France’s richest woman.
The 58-year-old is under investigation for “abuse of weakness” in an election campaign funding case involving L’Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt.
It is alleged staff acting for Bettencourt gave 150,000 euros in cash to the former president’s aides during his successful presidential campaign in 2007.
Police raided Sarkozy’s home and offices last July after he lost his presidential immunity.
Under French law, a formal investigation is the final step before a suspect is accused of a crime.
Sarkozy has repeatedly denied taking campaign funds from the L’Oreal heiress who was declared in a state of dementia back in 2006.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 3Modern Express towed safely into Bilbao port
- 4EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
- 5Taiwan: at least 8 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 04:45 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 04:23 CET Man pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, more than 130 people…
- 04:07 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17