Cyprus and Europe are waiting. The financial vacuum is being filled with fear and anger.
Will it be financial meltdown and a euro exit or will there be an agreed plan to raise 5.8 billion euros, which will unlock a 10 billion euro bailout for the Mediterranean island?
Cyprus’ leaders are debating with the troika. Options are receding and speculation on the street is mounting.
The ruling party claims it is just hours away from a deal. Still the clock is ticking to the March 25 deadline set by the European Central Bank.
It is understood that the Cypriot government is now discussing a 10 percent levy on deposits over 100,000 euros.
Earlier, Moscow rebuffed requests from Nicosia for assistance to save Cypriot banks in which Russians have billions at risk.
One eurozone minister, Finland’s Alexander Stubb, remained confident. He said an EU accord would be reached.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Moscow criticised for flattening kiosks
Spanish speleologists rescued from French abyss
IMF warns Ukraine to tackle corruption or bailout stops
Italian paramilitary police arrest 109 suspected Mafia members
France: MPs back constitutional changes to strip passports from those convicted of terrorism
Wires > News
- 20:32 CET Republican Christie assesses future of White House bid
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…
- 19:56 CET Female suicide bombers kill over 60 people in northeast Nigeria -…
- 19:08 CET World’s top scientists pledge to share all findings to fight Zika
- 18:16 CET German train crash investigators focus on signal controller -…
- 18:14 CET Iraqi PM’s bid to reshuffle cabinet could cost him his job