It is less than a year since Chinese and Russian leaders last met officially, when Vladimir Putin had just resumed his function as president in June 2012.
Now China has a new president, and Xi Jinping’s choice of Russia for his first foreign voyage signals he wants to keep this bilateral partnership a priority.
The two countries’ relations have not all been plain sailing on the international scene, with Moscow and Beijing repeatedly using their vetoes in the United Nations Security Council, against any intervention in Syria.
Blocking American diplomatic moves there was even talk of a Cold War atmosphere returning.
Economic strategy is at the core of China-Russia relations. They used to be rivals but now they try to coexist, though they are still somewhat wary of each other.
The two giants clearly are not moving at the same speed. China’s GDP last year bounded ahead by growing 7.8 percent while Russia’s grew 3.5 percent and is stagnant today. So, they are still competing.
The past few decades have seen stimulating trade. Moscow sold Beijing military and space technology and oil. In the other direction, Chinese consumer goods poured over to the Russians.
In the space of 20 years the total bilateral exchange has been multiplied by 14. It surpassed 68 billion euros-worth last year.
The two countries have a target of beyond 77 billion euros in the next two years.
Russia wants to develop its energy interests and influence in China – the world’s biggest energy consumer – to be less dependent on the European market.
Moscow would like to double its present annual 15 million-tonne delivery of oil to China. The gas goal is to provide China with 70 billion cubic metres annually within 30 years.
China has changed from the world’s factory to the main motor of global growth but its ties with important Asian partners or others have also grown more complicated.
This means Beijing and Moscow’s interests are inter-linked more than ever.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 18[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
Latest world news
Twin blasts rock Turkish capital
Party in Pyongyang: North Korea celebrates 70 years of Worker’s Party
US and Russia to resume talks on air safety over Syria
Friday proves deadly in Israel and the Palestinian territories as violence goes up another notch
Obama met by pro-gun protests at scene of latest school shooting in Oregon
Wires > News
- 11:51 CET Spain arrests 89 accused of running people-smuggling ring
- 11:22 CET Isolated North Korea says ready for war with U.S. as it marks…
- 11:11 CET Twin bombs kill at least 20 in Turkish capital Ankara
- 10:56 CET Hundreds face off in Australian town in anti-Islam protest
- 10:16 CET Accidental China restaurant explosion kills at least 17 – Xinhua
- 10:13 CET Germany, European Commission mull solidarity tax for refugees -…
- 08:53 CET Turkish police detain editor of paper close to Erdogan foe – media
- 06:08 CET China completes construction of lighthouses in South China Sea