Former 200 metre Olympic champion Pietro Mennea has died in a Rome clinic at the age of 60.
No cause of death has so far been announced.
The Italian set a new 200m world record at altitude in Mexico City in 1979 with a time of 19.72 seconds.
It was a record that stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson beat the mark in 1996.
His record does however remain a European best.
The Barletta-born sprinter known as the ‘Arrow of the South’ produced one of his most impressive performances en route to Olympic glory in Moscow.
Mennea made a remarkable comeback in the final few metres to pip Britain’s Alan Wells to gold.
He competed in five Olympics, appearing in four consecutive 200m finals.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 16:22 CET Marseille head into break as leaders after beating Lille
- 15:25 CET Analysis – Club World Cup still a hit outside Europe
- 14:56 CET FIFA official says England had best bid for 2018 World Cup
- 14:24 CET Villareal beat Deportivo 3-0 with Vietto double
- 14:23 CET Alpine skiing – Vonn will have to wait until 2015 for record
- 13:43 CET Independent panels lack consistency, says Mourinho
- 13:33 CET Afridi to retire from ODIs after World Cup
- 12:48 CET Boxing great Muhammad Ali hospitalised with pneumonia