Former 200 metre Olympic champion Pietro Mennea has died in a Rome clinic at the age of 60.
No cause of death has so far been announced.
The Italian set a new 200m world record at altitude in Mexico City in 1979 with a time of 19.72 seconds.
It was a record that stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson beat the mark in 1996.
His record does however remain a European best.
The Barletta-born sprinter known as the ‘Arrow of the South’ produced one of his most impressive performances en route to Olympic glory in Moscow.
Mennea made a remarkable comeback in the final few metres to pip Britain’s Alan Wells to gold.
He competed in five Olympics, appearing in four consecutive 200m finals.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Wires > Sport
- 14:13 CET Fan eyes large windfall if Leicester complete fairytale
- 13:02 CET Swansea must kill off games not hold on to them – Fabianski
- 12:54 CET France to play Cameroon and Scotland in Euro 2016 warm-ups
- 12:06 CET Stoke must take more risks, says manager Hughes
- 11:56 CET West Ham’s Tomkins ruled out with calf injury
- 11:24 CET Unbeaten run has Saints back on track, says Van Dijk
- 11:00 CET Leicester story can inspire Sunderland escape, says Defoe
- 10:46 CET Pressure now on title rivals, says Leicester’s Ranieri