Former 200 metre Olympic champion Pietro Mennea has died in a Rome clinic at the age of 60.
No cause of death has so far been announced.
The Italian set a new 200m world record at altitude in Mexico City in 1979 with a time of 19.72 seconds.
It was a record that stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson beat the mark in 1996.
His record does however remain a European best.
The Barletta-born sprinter known as the ‘Arrow of the South’ produced one of his most impressive performances en route to Olympic glory in Moscow.
Mennea made a remarkable comeback in the final few metres to pip Britain’s Alan Wells to gold.
He competed in five Olympics, appearing in four consecutive 200m finals.
- 1Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 3Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
- 4Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
- 5Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Clipper Round the World Yacht Race: LMAX wins stage three
Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
IAAF president Coe quits Nike role amid conflict of interest claims
Jeju Grand Prix: Galbadrakh strikes maiden gold
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Wires > Sport
- 13:50 CET Van Gaal thinks Leicester could win Premier League title
- 13:22 CET Australia bowlers shine on day-night test’s debut
- 13:08 CET Electric series plans driverless championship
- 12:26 CET City’s Caballero backs himself to fill Hart’s boots
- 12:23 CET Manchester United striker Wilson joins Brighton on loan
- 12:14 CET Hamilton fastest in first Abu Dhabi practice
- 11:58 CET Red Bull will have an engine next year, says Horner
- 11:50 CET ‘Angry’ West Ham looking to bounce back, says Bilic