Former 200 metre Olympic champion Pietro Mennea has died in a Rome clinic at the age of 60.
No cause of death has so far been announced.
The Italian set a new 200m world record at altitude in Mexico City in 1979 with a time of 19.72 seconds.
It was a record that stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson beat the mark in 1996.
His record does however remain a European best.
The Barletta-born sprinter known as the ‘Arrow of the South’ produced one of his most impressive performances en route to Olympic glory in Moscow.
Mennea made a remarkable comeback in the final few metres to pip Britain’s Alan Wells to gold.
He competed in five Olympics, appearing in four consecutive 200m finals.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 09:32 CET Record New Zealand stand heaps pressure on Pakistan
- 07:57 CET Twickenham bans fans for homophobic abuse of referee
- 23:03 CET Victory sends Marseille marching four points clear
- 21:41 CET Liverpool’s Rodgers joint favourite for the sack
- 20:36 CET I don’t care about FIFA awards, says Mourinho
- 20:02 CET Bayern turnover tops half a billion euros
- 18:55 CET Sainz joins Verstappen at Toro Rosso
- 17:31 CET Domestic abuse linked to football match days – Scottish study