Former 200 metre Olympic champion Pietro Mennea has died in a Rome clinic at the age of 60.
No cause of death has so far been announced.
The Italian set a new 200m world record at altitude in Mexico City in 1979 with a time of 19.72 seconds.
It was a record that stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson beat the mark in 1996.
His record does however remain a European best.
The Barletta-born sprinter known as the ‘Arrow of the South’ produced one of his most impressive performances en route to Olympic glory in Moscow.
Mennea made a remarkable comeback in the final few metres to pip Britain’s Alan Wells to gold.
He competed in five Olympics, appearing in four consecutive 200m finals.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 7Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 16Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 05:43 CET Leading tennis tournament renamed Miami Open with Brazilian…
- 05:17 CET Atletico aim to upstage La Liga big spenders again
- 05:04 CET Charles in charge in Wallabies front row
- 05:01 CET New-look Atletico primed to retain La Liga title
- 04:56 CET Real Madrid eye six trophies in a season
- 04:51 CET Suarez adds bite but Barca hopes hinge on defence
- 04:36 CET Lim takeover could revive Valencia glory days
- 02:22 CET Atletico’s Garcia earns Super Cup draw at Real Madrid