Former 200 metre Olympic champion Pietro Mennea has died in a Rome clinic at the age of 60.
No cause of death has so far been announced.
The Italian set a new 200m world record at altitude in Mexico City in 1979 with a time of 19.72 seconds.
It was a record that stood for 17 years until Michael Johnson beat the mark in 1996.
His record does however remain a European best.
The Barletta-born sprinter known as the ‘Arrow of the South’ produced one of his most impressive performances en route to Olympic glory in Moscow.
Mennea made a remarkable comeback in the final few metres to pip Britain’s Alan Wells to gold.
He competed in five Olympics, appearing in four consecutive 200m finals.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 04:23 CET One to 39, Highlanders success built on strong squad culture
- 03:39 CET Powell wins in Paris with his fastest 100 in four years
- 02:56 CET Cheeky Sanchez penalty clinches Chile’s first Copa
- 02:07 CET Japan finds new motivation for World Cup final
- 02:03 CET Williams penalty gives England third place
- 23:20 CET Clarke hails Harris as one of the best
- 21:59 CET Lauda swapped trophies for free car washes
- 20:47 CET Melissa Reid no longer a rebel with a cause