Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has warned Israel the Islamic Republic would take military action if its nuclear infrastructure came under attack from the Jewish state.
Thousands gathered in the second largest Iranian city Mashhad chanting “Death to America” after President Barack Obama on his trip to the Middle East had said: “America will do what we must to prevent a nuclear Iran.”
The crowd heard a clear warning from Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
“Sometimes the Zionist regime threatens us, threatens to launch a military attack, but I think they also know themselves, and if they don’t know, they should know, that if they make this mistake, the Islamic Republic will raze Tel Aviv and Haifa to the ground,” he said.
Iran has been seen flexing its military muscle in a series of exercises recently as Israel has repeatedly hinted at a pre-emptive strike against it arch enemy. International talks on Iran’s uranium enrichment programme are set to resume next month.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 19:59 CET North American leaders vow to boost trade despite threats
- 19:56 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 19:55 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP seen sweeping back to power in polls
- 19:54 CET EU, U.S. urge Bosnia to pass reforms critical for EU bid, IMF funds
- 18:23 CET Russia agrees to talks with NATO after Warsaw summit – France
- 17:05 CET Kenyan forces kill five suspected Islamist militants
- 17:03 CET Groups urge U.N. to suspend Saudi Arabia from rights council
- 16:55 CET Rising asylum claims to lift Swiss budget deficit in 2017