Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has warned Israel the Islamic Republic would take military action if its nuclear infrastructure came under attack from the Jewish state.
Thousands gathered in the second largest Iranian city Mashhad chanting “Death to America” after President Barack Obama on his trip to the Middle East had said: “America will do what we must to prevent a nuclear Iran.”
The crowd heard a clear warning from Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
“Sometimes the Zionist regime threatens us, threatens to launch a military attack, but I think they also know themselves, and if they don’t know, they should know, that if they make this mistake, the Islamic Republic will raze Tel Aviv and Haifa to the ground,” he said.
Iran has been seen flexing its military muscle in a series of exercises recently as Israel has repeatedly hinted at a pre-emptive strike against it arch enemy. International talks on Iran’s uranium enrichment programme are set to resume next month.
Wires > News
- 19:03 CET Five U.N. soldiers killed in central Mali attack
- 19:02 CET Merkel, Hollande together mark 100 years since Verdun battle
- 16:46 CET Between 700-900 migrants may have died at sea this week – NGOs
- 15:29 CET Iran says its pilgrims will not attend haj in Saudi Arabia
- 14:15 CET Uganda to halt military, security ties with North Korea – South…
- 13:57 CET Nigerian president says ‘resolved’ to keep naira steady, supports…
- 13:46 CET U.S.-led coalition troops seen near front line in new Iraq…
- 13:35 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah appoints PM to oversee parliament elections…