Today is the first ever “International Day of Happiness”, as declared by the United Nations.
The aim of the day is to acknowledge the importance of happiness as a universal objective, as the UN put it:. “The pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal”. According to their report, all 193 of their members voted in favour of the day.
They encourage countries from around the world to observe the day through public-awareness events and education activities.
The day was created after a Bhutanese concept, coined by the Fourth King of Bhutan, Jigme Singye Wangchuck. In the 1970s, the country adopted the goal of “Gross National Happiness over Gross National Product.”
The initiative involves taking a ‘holistic approach’ to development and applies equal importance to non-economic aspects of life. Despite huge development in the last decades, Bhutan still has very low literacy rates and life expectancy. However, in 2006, Business Week – which compiled data from several studies – ranked Bhutan as the 8th happiest nation in the world.
Recently more and more governments are including elements such as ‘happiness’ in measures of prosperity and last year the UN also released their World Happiness Report.
UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, said: “On this first International Day of Happiness, let us reinforce our commitment to inclusive and sustainable human development and renew our pledge to help others. When we contribute to the common good, we ourselves are enriched. Compassion promotes happiness and will help build the future we want.”
How did you celebrate?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
Doping allegations involving 800 blood tests rock world of athletics
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777