Today is the first ever “International Day of Happiness”, as declared by the United Nations.
The aim of the day is to acknowledge the importance of happiness as a universal objective, as the UN put it:. “The pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal”. According to their report, all 193 of their members voted in favour of the day.
They encourage countries from around the world to observe the day through public-awareness events and education activities.
The day was created after a Bhutanese concept, coined by the Fourth King of Bhutan, Jigme Singye Wangchuck. In the 1970s, the country adopted the goal of “Gross National Happiness over Gross National Product.”
The initiative involves taking a ‘holistic approach’ to development and applies equal importance to non-economic aspects of life. Despite huge development in the last decades, Bhutan still has very low literacy rates and life expectancy. However, in 2006, Business Week – which compiled data from several studies – ranked Bhutan as the 8th happiest nation in the world.
Recently more and more governments are including elements such as ‘happiness’ in measures of prosperity and last year the UN also released their World Happiness Report.
UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, said: “On this first International Day of Happiness, let us reinforce our commitment to inclusive and sustainable human development and renew our pledge to help others. When we contribute to the common good, we ourselves are enriched. Compassion promotes happiness and will help build the future we want.”
How did you celebrate?
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:58 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants…
- 00:31 CET Kerry, Iran counterpart discuss nuclear talks, Islamic State
- 00:27 CET World leaders to gather at U.N. in shadow of Islamic State, Ebola…
- 22:29 CET Houthi rebels sign deal with Yemen parties to form new government
- 20:55 CET Forty migrants missing after raft sinks near Libya – Italy coast…
- 20:46 CET U.S. military struggles to preserve options in Islamic State fight
- 20:13 CET Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey
- 15:51 CET Iran prosecutor gives government 30 days to block social media