20/03/13 07:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A British woman in India has jumped from her third floor hotel balcony after fearing she was going to be gang-raped.
The woman had been staying at the hotel, which is in Agra about three kilometres from the famous Taj Mahal, for about two days when she was woken by knocking at the door.
She says the hotel’s owner persistently knocked on her door in the middle of the night offering her a “free oil body massage.”
She says she refused and shut the door but the owner of the hotel returned about half an hour later with what sounded like a group of people and tried to force the door open.
At this time the woman panicked and jumped to the balcony below and eventually to the ground where she made for the nearest tourist police station.
Indian police named the hotel’s owner as Sanjay Chauhan and said: “A case of molestation has been registered and the culprit has been arrested.”
It is reported the woman may have suffered a torn ligament in the escape. She had been due to go trekking in China after India but now it is understood she will return home to the UK instead.
Wires > News
- 02:00 CET Singapore set to pick military helicopters as arms spending rises
- 01:31 CET Australia PM Turnbull confirms will call election for July 2
- 01:15 CET Brazil prosecutor asks Supreme Court to investigate Lula
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system