20/03/13 07:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A British woman in India has jumped from her third floor hotel balcony after fearing she was going to be gang-raped.
The woman had been staying at the hotel, which is in Agra about three kilometres from the famous Taj Mahal, for about two days when she was woken by knocking at the door.
She says the hotel’s owner persistently knocked on her door in the middle of the night offering her a “free oil body massage.”
She says she refused and shut the door but the owner of the hotel returned about half an hour later with what sounded like a group of people and tried to force the door open.
At this time the woman panicked and jumped to the balcony below and eventually to the ground where she made for the nearest tourist police station.
Indian police named the hotel’s owner as Sanjay Chauhan and said: “A case of molestation has been registered and the culprit has been arrested.”
It is reported the woman may have suffered a torn ligament in the escape. She had been due to go trekking in China after India but now it is understood she will return home to the UK instead.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…