Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 17Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 10:09 CET Magic Johnson inspires Australia to second test win
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014
- 20:43 CET ‘Celtic Tiger’ McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
- 20:38 CET Billion dollar Sochi Games a sporting success
- 20:31 CET Five talking points for sports in 2014