Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
- 1Euro 2016: Portugal, Poland and Wales through to quarter-finals
- 2Euro 2016: Hungary win Group F, Iceland and Portugal also reach last 16
- 3England exit via Iceland; Italy knock out holders Spain
- 4Euro 2016: Perisic winner for Croatia stuns Spain
- 5Euro 2016: Griezmann saves France blushes, World Champs Germany in cruise control as Red Devils of Belgium too hot to handle
PSG appoint Emery as new coach
Messi quits Argentina after Copa America defeat to Chile
Europeans dominate final day of Budapest Judo Grand Prix
Russia end European Fencing Championships on golden not
Judo: Youthful Japanese team sound Rio warning bells after dominant display at Budapest Grand Prix
Wires > Sport
- 19:12 CET Lewandowski needs more protection, Poland coach says
- 18:57 CET Injured De Rossi unlikely to face Germany
- 18:46 CET Higuain does not want to extend Napoli contract – agent
- 18:41 CET Portugal’s Fonte enjoying first tournament at 32
- 18:01 CET Irish fans to get medal for Paris craic
- 17:47 CET Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil’s Olympic squad
- 17:37 CET Phelps pulls out of 100m freestyle at U.S. trials
- 17:30 CET Red Dragon inspires Bale ahead of Belgium showdown