Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 00:45 CET Rio de Janeiro beefs up security with Olympics a year away
- 00:21 CET No deal done to back Platini says CONCACAF powerbroker
- 00:13 CET Zico’s FIFA bid gets lukewarm backing from CBF
- 23:51 CET Oliver suffers Diamond Race setback, Fraser-Pryce wins
- 23:48 CET Gomez joins Besiktas on loan after injury-hit Fiore spell
- 21:24 CET Finn’s five wickets put England on brink of victory
- 20:35 CET I never thought I’d take 400 test wickets, says Steyn
- 20:08 CET Napoli sign Romania defender Chiriches from Spurs