Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 3France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 3European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 4Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 5Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
Wires > Sport
- 20:17 CET Liverpool handed second UEFA fine in less than a week
- 19:51 CET Mourinho agrees terms with Man United – Sky TV
- 19:27 CET Nadal baffled by tennis no shows at Olympics
- 18:57 CET Tsonga fights back to reach Paris third round
- 18:10 CET Romanian coaches and players banned for match-fixing
- 18:06 CET Trio for Rio set to make history – Estonian triplets head to…
- 17:27 CET Colombian coach banned for poking ball boy in eye
- 17:26 CET Real Madrid looking for change in fortunes at San Siro