Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:44 CET Tokyo’s Olympic stadium to host 2019 World Cup final
- 04:32 CET Unchanged South Africa win toss and bat against Ireland
- 03:15 CET Spurs and Scotland great Mackay dies aged 80
- 01:03 CET Australia were ‘nervous’ against New Zealand – Johnson
- 23:06 CET Harrington clears mental hurdle to return to winner’s circle
- 22:01 CET Sunderland’s Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with girl, 15,
- 21:57 CET Del Potro sees comeback by late March
- 21:02 CET Harrington ends seven-year wait with Honda victory