Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Bolt celebrates triple triumph at world championships
German sailor Heil infected by Rio’s polluted water
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Wires > Sport
- 15:55 CET Bayern sign teenager Coman on-loan from Juventus
- 15:05 CET Liverpool’s Markovic joins Fenerbahce on season-long loan
- 15:03 CET Canada’s Drouin wins high jump gold in sudden-death
- 15:02 CET Jamaica take women’s 4×400 gold despite Felix heroics
- 15:01 CET Merritt anchors United States to 4×400m relay gold
- 14:15 CET Germany’s Molitor snatches gold with final throw
- 13:45 CET Ayana denies Dibaba with stunning 5,000m gold
- 13:37 CET Redding joins Pramac Ducati MotoGP team for 2016