Bolivia is to become the fourth South American country to be included in the Dakar Rally since the gruelling event was relocated from Africa in 2009.
The 2014 host nations were unveiled on Wednesday in Paris and Bolivia was including at the expense of Peru, which will miss out this time around.
Also for the first time, competitors will bivouac in two different countries as the cars and trucks are not expected to compete in Bolivia. They will remain in Argentina and Chile while only the motorbikes and quads will tackle the race’s latest addition.
Race director Etienne Lavigne said: “It’ll be a very different Dakar 2014 than those that have come before because we’ll be visiting three countries: Argentina, Bolivia for the first time, and then Chile, a country already known by the Dakar, and reach Valparaiso, which will be the finishing point of the Dakar 2014.”
Next year’s edition of the rally will begin on January 5 in Rosario, Argentina, and finish in the Chilean city of Valparaiso on January 18.
The specific towns hosting stages for the race will be announced in April, with the finalised route made public in November.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 20:09 CET Beaten Man City let in four goals in Stuttgart friendly
- 18:59 CET ‘Shocked’ Rudisha beaten in trials for world championships
- 18:39 CET Nadal eases past Seppi to reach Hamburg final
- 17:42 CET Adam Yates wins Clasica San Sebastian
- 15:50 CET Brazil’s Cunha claims 25km open water title
- 14:15 CET England call up Plunkett and Footitt for fourth test
- 13:42 CET Mourinho eyes early chance to strike blow on Wenger
- 12:44 CET Twente take teenager on loan from Man City