All roads are once again leading to Rome today, as heads of state and government from around the world arrive for the investiture of Pope Francis.
The Pontiff has already had a one-to-one meeting with his compatriot, Argentinian president Christina de Kirchner.
Described by the Vatican as an “informal” meeting, there was no sign of any lingering discord over the government’s stance on gay marriage and abortion.
US Vice president Joe Biden has also flown in to be at the ceremony. European heads of government are also expected.
Robert Mugabe is among the more controversial guests. The 89-year-old, a devout Catholic, is denied entry to the EU over allegations of human rights abuses. But he is allowed into the Vatican as it is a sovereign state in its own right.
300 000 people are expected to pack out St Paul’s Square and the surrounding streets for today’s ceremony. 3,000 police officers will be on duty.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Cameron bows to pressure as Britain set to let in more Syrian refugees
Overnight stand-off as migrants refuse to go to Hungary refugee camp
Drowned Syrian boy’s story stirs strong emotions over migrant crisis
Guatemala President Perez behind bars amid corruption probe
Migrant transit route Libya urges outside help to combat crisis
Wires > News
- 10:43 CET U.S. clerk jailed for gay marriage defiance; dispute goes on
- 10:28 CET China’s Xi lauds Czechs, only Western leader at war parade
- 10:25 CET Islamic State militants blow up Palmyra’s ancient tower tombs -…
- 10:14 CET Bulgaria detains 39 Syrians near the Serbian border
- 10:05 CET Russia says Syria’s Assad ready to share power with opposition
- 09:59 CET Celebrities, artists launch campaign backing U.N. development goals
- 09:58 CET Family jokes and school struggles, film shows private side of…
- 09:24 CET British, Spanish prime ministers make joint call for EU reform