Not since Stephan Eberharter in 2003 had a male skier won back-to-back overall World Cup titles on the elite alpine skiing circuit.
That was until this year when Austrian Marcel Hirscher’s remarkable consistency paid dividends yet again as he defended his title to lift the crystal globe for the second year running.
At the age of 24 Hirscher has clearly marked his territory at the summit of the sport.
His consistent form in the more technical disciplines also earned him the slalom globe.
In an impressive season-long display in the slalom the Salzburg-native won five races and finished on the podium in all 10 events he entered.
As well as winning the overall crown and the slalom globe Hirscher ended the winter runner-up in the giant slalom after winning once and reaching the podium six other times in eight races.
After making his World Cup debut in the 2007 season at the age of 17 Hirscher had to wait two years before tasting success – that came in a giant slalom race at the French resort of Val d’Isère.
Hirscher’s 2011 season was cut short when he broke his ankle the weekend before the World Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
It turned out to be a welcome break as when he returned, he returned in devastating fashion.
2012 was to be his breakthrough season in which he won nine races, all but one in his favoured technical disciplines.
He took the winter by storm and went on to lift his first overall World Cup title as well as the giant slalom crown.
It was a stunning feat he was to repeat this season although he replaced the giant slalom title with that of the slalom.
After also winning gold at the world championships on home snow in Schladming the only major thing missing from his trophy cabinet is Olympic gold – bring on Sochi 2014.
- 1Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 3Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
- 4Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
- 5Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Rio’s Olympic whitewater slalom course put through its paces
Judo: Britain’s Conway wins gold in Jeju
Clipper Round the World Yacht Race: LMAX wins stage three
Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
IAAF president Coe quits Nike role amid conflict of interest claims
Wires > Sport
- 19:25 CET Brazil’s Andrade Gutierrez to admit World Cup bribes – Folha paper
- 19:22 CET Fury cites Ali, Douglas as he plots Klitschko sensation
- 18:51 CET Renault’s F1 future remains on hold
- 18:44 CET FIBA lifts Russia’s international ban
- 18:14 CET Rosberg fastest as Mercedes dominate in Abu Dhabi
- 17:21 CET Newcastle needed ‘feisty’ training session – McClaren
- 17:16 CET Marathon great Radcliffe cleared by IAAF of doping claims
- 16:41 CET Swansea have trust in me says under-fire Monk