Not since Stephan Eberharter in 2003 had a male skier won back-to-back overall World Cup titles on the elite alpine skiing circuit.
That was until this year when Austrian Marcel Hirscher’s remarkable consistency paid dividends yet again as he defended his title to lift the crystal globe for the second year running.
At the age of 24 Hirscher has clearly marked his territory at the summit of the sport.
His consistent form in the more technical disciplines also earned him the slalom globe.
In an impressive season-long display in the slalom the Salzburg-native won five races and finished on the podium in all 10 events he entered.
As well as winning the overall crown and the slalom globe Hirscher ended the winter runner-up in the giant slalom after winning once and reaching the podium six other times in eight races.
After making his World Cup debut in the 2007 season at the age of 17 Hirscher had to wait two years before tasting success – that came in a giant slalom race at the French resort of Val d’Isère.
Hirscher’s 2011 season was cut short when he broke his ankle the weekend before the World Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
It turned out to be a welcome break as when he returned, he returned in devastating fashion.
2012 was to be his breakthrough season in which he won nine races, all but one in his favoured technical disciplines.
He took the winter by storm and went on to lift his first overall World Cup title as well as the giant slalom crown.
It was a stunning feat he was to repeat this season although he replaced the giant slalom title with that of the slalom.
After also winning gold at the world championships on home snow in Schladming the only major thing missing from his trophy cabinet is Olympic gold – bring on Sochi 2014.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Sport
- 13:29 CET Nadal withdraws from Paris Masters
- 13:27 CET Williams guaranteed year-end number one ranking
- 12:48 CET Serbia get walkover v Albania, three points deducted
- 12:45 CET Ryder not ready for New Zealand return, says McCullum
- 12:37 CET Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day
- 12:20 CET South Africa name Peterson to replace injured Phangiso
- 12:13 CET Shakhtar turn down Romania’s Lucescu offer
- 00:24 CET Stellar Lamela is hot Spur as Tottenham hit five