Not since Stephan Eberharter in 2003 had a male skier won back-to-back overall World Cup titles on the elite alpine skiing circuit.
That was until this year when Austrian Marcel Hirscher’s remarkable consistency paid dividends yet again as he defended his title to lift the crystal globe for the second year running.
At the age of 24 Hirscher has clearly marked his territory at the summit of the sport.
His consistent form in the more technical disciplines also earned him the slalom globe.
In an impressive season-long display in the slalom the Salzburg-native won five races and finished on the podium in all 10 events he entered.
As well as winning the overall crown and the slalom globe Hirscher ended the winter runner-up in the giant slalom after winning once and reaching the podium six other times in eight races.
After making his World Cup debut in the 2007 season at the age of 17 Hirscher had to wait two years before tasting success – that came in a giant slalom race at the French resort of Val d’Isère.
Hirscher’s 2011 season was cut short when he broke his ankle the weekend before the World Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
It turned out to be a welcome break as when he returned, he returned in devastating fashion.
2012 was to be his breakthrough season in which he won nine races, all but one in his favoured technical disciplines.
He took the winter by storm and went on to lift his first overall World Cup title as well as the giant slalom crown.
It was a stunning feat he was to repeat this season although he replaced the giant slalom title with that of the slalom.
After also winning gold at the world championships on home snow in Schladming the only major thing missing from his trophy cabinet is Olympic gold – bring on Sochi 2014.
- 1France and Italy kick-start up Six Nations in Paris
- 2American duo Cartica and Pizzi win 2016 World Marathon Challenge
- 3FIFA presidential elections: CAF to give full backing to Sheikh Salman
- 4World Athletics investigating claims of historic state-backed doping in China
- 5Nizzolo takes Dubai Tour lead as Lobato wins stage three
- 1European Handball Championships: Germany to face Spain in final
- 2‘‘I was born to race’‘ – 15-time motorcycle world champion Giacomo Agostini
- 3Formula One: Renault present car and team for 2016
- 4Guardiola signs three-year contract to manage Manchester City
- 5American duo Cartica and Pizzi win 2016 World Marathon Challenge
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
France and Italy kick-start up Six Nations in Paris
Nizzolo takes Dubai Tour lead as Lobato wins stage three
FIFA presidential elections: CAF to give full backing to Sheikh Salman
World Athletics investigating claims of historic state-backed doping in China
NBA champions meet President Obama
Wires > Sport
- 06:56 CET Altidore header gives Unites States 1-0 win over Canada
- 03:23 CET McEvoy sets scorching pace, Magnussen promises improvement
- 03:00 CET Multi-tasking no problem for Man City-bound Guardiola
- 00:35 CET Goodell dangles expansion carrot to London
- 22:30 CET Jailed Uruguayan reaches plea bargain in FIFA case
- 22:03 CET Man City set to field young team in FA Cup tie at Chelsea
- 21:56 CET Liverpool fans plan walkout over ticket prices
- 20:57 CET Belated gold would be hollow for Ireland’s O’Sullivan