After concluding its visit of Tokyo the International Olympic Committee on Monday began its inspection of Madrid’s venues for the city’s 2020 Olympic bid.
On a blustery and cold day in the Spanish capital Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was confident Madrid, with the help of its citizens, could organize a very successful Games.
Rajoy said: “We are ready and we are willing to organise an important event such as the Olympic games. We would proudly do it and with the absolute conviction that with the support of the people it would be a enormous success for Madrid, for Spain and for all the Olympic movement in general. Thank you very much, I leave you because it is extremely cold. Thanks.”
Accompanied by Real Madrid and Spain captain Iker Casillas members of the evaluation commission took a tour of the impressive Santiago Bernabeu, which would host the football finals. According to the Madrid bid dossier it is one of 28 of the 35 planned venues already built.
The commission will continue the evaluation until Thursday and then at the next week will visit venues of the third and final bid in Istanbul.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 11:01 CET Sturridge hopeful of returning against Chelsea
- 05:33 CET Uruguay not among world’s elite, says coach
- 04:21 CET Australia’s Beale needs surgery, but will keep playing
- 04:05 CET Liverpool seek to land knockout blow on Chelsea
- 01:15 CET Good ambiance crucial to get best from Messi – Sabella
- 22:01 CET Liverpool announce Anfield stadium revamp plans
- 21:52 CET Best and worst sporting comebacks
- 21:42 CET Januzaj opts to play for Belgium