After concluding its visit of Tokyo the International Olympic Committee on Monday began its inspection of Madrid’s venues for the city’s 2020 Olympic bid.
On a blustery and cold day in the Spanish capital Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was confident Madrid, with the help of its citizens, could organize a very successful Games.
Rajoy said: “We are ready and we are willing to organise an important event such as the Olympic games. We would proudly do it and with the absolute conviction that with the support of the people it would be a enormous success for Madrid, for Spain and for all the Olympic movement in general. Thank you very much, I leave you because it is extremely cold. Thanks.”
Accompanied by Real Madrid and Spain captain Iker Casillas members of the evaluation commission took a tour of the impressive Santiago Bernabeu, which would host the football finals. According to the Madrid bid dossier it is one of 28 of the 35 planned venues already built.
The commission will continue the evaluation until Thursday and then at the next week will visit venues of the third and final bid in Istanbul.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 06:55 CET Kaka leads MLS All-Star side to win over Tottenham
- 06:22 CET Japan says no problem as questions rise about Tokyo 2020 logo
- 05:53 CET Activists aim to derail Beijing’s bid for Winter Olympics
- 03:52 CET IAAF expecting full Bird’s Nest for world championships
- 01:21 CET Felix to run 400m and relays at worlds
- 00:54 CET Fraser-Pryce could run both sprints at worlds
- 00:50 CET Federer withdraws from Rogers Cup in Montreal
- 23:37 CET Maradona says he wants to fight FIFA ‘mafia’