After concluding its visit of Tokyo the International Olympic Committee on Monday began its inspection of Madrid’s venues for the city’s 2020 Olympic bid.
On a blustery and cold day in the Spanish capital Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was confident Madrid, with the help of its citizens, could organize a very successful Games.
Rajoy said: “We are ready and we are willing to organise an important event such as the Olympic games. We would proudly do it and with the absolute conviction that with the support of the people it would be a enormous success for Madrid, for Spain and for all the Olympic movement in general. Thank you very much, I leave you because it is extremely cold. Thanks.”
Accompanied by Real Madrid and Spain captain Iker Casillas members of the evaluation commission took a tour of the impressive Santiago Bernabeu, which would host the football finals. According to the Madrid bid dossier it is one of 28 of the 35 planned venues already built.
The commission will continue the evaluation until Thursday and then at the next week will visit venues of the third and final bid in Istanbul.
- 1Euro 2016: Portugal, Poland and Wales through to quarter-finals
- 2Euro 2016: Hungary win Group F, Iceland and Portugal also reach last 16
- 3England exit via Iceland; Italy knock out holders Spain
- 4Euro 2016: Perisic winner for Croatia stuns Spain
- 5Euro 2016: Griezmann saves France blushes, World Champs Germany in cruise control as Red Devils of Belgium too hot to handle
PSG appoint Emery as new coach
Messi quits Argentina after Copa America defeat to Chile
Europeans dominate final day of Budapest Judo Grand Prix
Russia end European Fencing Championships on golden not
Judo: Youthful Japanese team sound Rio warning bells after dominant display at Budapest Grand Prix
Wires > Sport
- 15:32 CET Spain veteran Casillas hints at retirement
- 15:28 CET Radwanska keeps up her 100 pct Wimbledon first-round record
- 15:15 CET Israeli forward Zahavi signs for Chinese side Guangzhou
- 15:06 CET Berdych battles to four-set win at rain-hit Wimbledon
- 15:01 CET Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy
- 15:00 CET Rudisha faces tough test at Kenyan Olympic trials
- 14:54 CET Kompany shocked by England’s ‘collective failure’
- 14:51 CET Lewandowski takes on less glamorous role for solid Poland