After concluding its visit of Tokyo the International Olympic Committee on Monday began its inspection of Madrid’s venues for the city’s 2020 Olympic bid.
On a blustery and cold day in the Spanish capital Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was confident Madrid, with the help of its citizens, could organize a very successful Games.
Rajoy said: “We are ready and we are willing to organise an important event such as the Olympic games. We would proudly do it and with the absolute conviction that with the support of the people it would be a enormous success for Madrid, for Spain and for all the Olympic movement in general. Thank you very much, I leave you because it is extremely cold. Thanks.”
Accompanied by Real Madrid and Spain captain Iker Casillas members of the evaluation commission took a tour of the impressive Santiago Bernabeu, which would host the football finals. According to the Madrid bid dossier it is one of 28 of the 35 planned venues already built.
The commission will continue the evaluation until Thursday and then at the next week will visit venues of the third and final bid in Istanbul.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 22:10 CET Korean Ko and Taiwanese Lu share Turnberry lead
- 21:46 CET South African Tokyo Sexwale considering standing for …
- 20:25 CET Thrilling one-wicket win hands Pakistan T20 series
- 20:09 CET Beaten Man City let in four goals in Stuttgart friendly
- 18:59 CET ‘Shocked’ Rudisha beaten in trials for world championships
- 18:39 CET Nadal eases past Seppi to reach Hamburg final
- 17:42 CET Adam Yates wins Clasica San Sebastian
- 15:50 CET Brazil’s Cunha claims 25km open water title