After concluding its visit of Tokyo the International Olympic Committee on Monday began its inspection of Madrid’s venues for the city’s 2020 Olympic bid.
On a blustery and cold day in the Spanish capital Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he was confident Madrid, with the help of its citizens, could organize a very successful Games.
Rajoy said: “We are ready and we are willing to organise an important event such as the Olympic games. We would proudly do it and with the absolute conviction that with the support of the people it would be a enormous success for Madrid, for Spain and for all the Olympic movement in general. Thank you very much, I leave you because it is extremely cold. Thanks.”
Accompanied by Real Madrid and Spain captain Iker Casillas members of the evaluation commission took a tour of the impressive Santiago Bernabeu, which would host the football finals. According to the Madrid bid dossier it is one of 28 of the 35 planned venues already built.
The commission will continue the evaluation until Thursday and then at the next week will visit venues of the third and final bid in Istanbul.
- 1Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 2Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 3Leicester City win Premier League after Tottenham draw with Chelsea
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid v Man City preview
- 5Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
Real Madrid to face city rivals Atletico Madrid in Champions League final
UCI use iPad to detect mechanical doping
NBA playoffs: Golden State extend lead against Trailblazers
No surprise in Atletico reaching Champions League final – Simeone
Kosovo and Florence Hardouin enjoy landmark votes at UEFA congress
Wires > Sport
- 04:08 CET Goromaru dropped from Reds squad for Crusaders clash
- 01:44 CET Laughing Khan aims verbal jab at Trump
- 01:39 CET Brilliant Bale helps Real tame Man City to reach final
- 00:43 CET Furyk back from injury as McIlroy defends at Quail Hollow
- 23:30 CET Skipping Rio does not mean abandoning Australia, says Scott
- 22:51 CET Family, friends help Spieth process Masters meltdown
- 20:53 CET Patience rewarded with Olympic berth
- 20:10 CET Azarenka pulls out of Madrid Open with back injury