Russians have something to celebrate in London right now with the Maslenitsa festival, which celebrates the end of winter and the start of spring.
Well, they might need to spend a little longer in Britain before they get the hang of the interminable rain and cold that seems never-ending to natives, but they filled Trafalgar Square and put on brave faces nonetheless.
“On a personal note, it brings the most wonderful memories from the childhood – big stuffed dolls and a lot of pancakes, a lot a lot of delicious sugar and sweets,” said model Natalia Vodianova.
There have never been more Russians in the capital; on one estimate 200,000, a big increase from just a few thousand several years ago when the rich started pushing up property prices and buying football clubs. But that influx poses problems of its own; for example Russian-language schooling for most children is almost non-existent.
“The spring is yet to come to London, but people here are already celebrating it. This is the finale of Maslenitsa culture festival that has brought great talent from Russia to London,” concludes euronews’ London correspondent Ali May.
Great talent, and great pots of money, too.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 14Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
Zika virus: Colombian doctors report hike in rare nerve disorder cases
Warm welcome for Pope Francis as he kicks off Mexico visit
Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
Cameron meets Merkel in last pre-summit referendum talks
Wires > News
- 14:32 CET Gunmen kill two in Burundi as marchers rally against Rwanda
- 14:25 CET Somalia’s al Shabaab say behind airline blast
- 13:46 CET Afghan appeal after ex-governor kidnapped in Pakistani capital
- 13:30 CET Pakistanis should ignore Valentine’s Day, president urges
- 13:28 CET Hungarians rally against Orban’s education reforms
- 13:14 CET Israeli troops kill Palestinian who tried to stab soldier – army
- 12:57 CET Red Cross says delivers medical aid to Taiz in Yemen ‘breakthrough’
- 12:36 CET US Defence Secretary says UK needs nuclear weapons for ‘outsized‘…