After ten hours of talks the deal was struck!
Eurozone finance ministers and IMF chief Christine Lagarde agreed to a ten billion euro bailout for Cyprus – seven billion short of what the island nation was asking for.
Cash-strapped Cyprus has now become the fifth country to turn to the eurozone for financial help in a bid to stave off bankruptcy.
Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Eurogroup Chairman:
“The Eurogroup considers that in principal financial assistance to Cyprus is warranted to safeguard financial stability in Cyprus and the euro area as a whole by providing a financial envelope which has been reduced to 10 billion euro.”
In return Cyprus must trim its deficit, shrink its troubled banking sector, raise taxes and privatise state assets.
The agreement still has to be approved by parliaments in several eurozone nations but everything should be completed by the end of the month.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Istanbul attack: suspected bombers ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Boris Johnson pulls out of race to be UK PM
Boris Johnson says he won’t run to be next UK prime minister
Wires > News
- 17:27 CET West cooperating secretly with Damascus against militants – Assad
- 17:18 CET Hungary minister says might vote to quit EU if government held…
- 17:10 CET Yugoslav tribunal upholds sentences against Bosnian Serbs
- 16:58 CET Slovakia says western members can’t dictate EU future after Brexit
- 16:55 CET British American Tobacco vows to investigate child workers in…
- 16:51 CET Human smugglers hail Uber drivers to take migrants to U.S.-Mexico…
- 16:45 CET Best foot forward – Thai elephant gets her ninth prosthetic leg
- 16:44 CET Islamic State kills Christian priest in Egypt’s North Sinai