14/03/13 01:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The new Pope Francis will be closely scrutinised by non-Christians – including in Turkey.
Comments made by his predecessor in 2006 quoting historical references on Islam were interpreted negatively by many Muslims, although Benedict was also credited with doing much for inter-faith dialogue.
In an Istanbul cafe there was cautious optimism as men sat watching the events in Rome unfold on television.
“ I hope the new pope does not make people miss the previous one. I believe that this change will serve world peace, it will be better for the Muslim world too,” said one man.
Benedict made several visits to Islamic countries, including Turkey, to build bridges after the controversy seven years ago.
But for some the damage was done.
“We are Muslims, we do not welcome those kind of statements. We cannot interfere in their affairs. But I hope this pope will be different from the previous one,” said another man in the cafe.
The comments illustrate perhaps how important it is for the new Pope Francis to get off to a good start.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…