A new pope gets a new ring, the Ring of the Fisherman also known as the Piscatory Ring.
Although the conclave is still locked away in contemplation in the Sistine Chapel master goldsmith Claudio Franchi, the man who made the ring for Benedict is in a unique position to explain the symbolism:
“According to ancient ritual, described in history going back to the 13th Century, the ring is used as a seal to stamp official documents. After a serving pope dies the ring is destroyed with a silver hammer by the Camerlengo in front of the Cardinals in order to avoid forgery. For Benedict the ring was a symbol not a seal.”
Tradition dictates the ring features St Peter fishing from a boat and the Latin name of the reigning pope in raised lettering.
The faithful show their respect and love for the pope and God by kneeling at his feet and kissing the Fisherman’s Ring.
Benedict’s ring was not destroyed but marked with an X and sent to the Vatican Museum.
- 1Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 2Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 3YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 4Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 5ISIL training children to kill
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 00:33 CET Syria’s army, allies plan offensive against insurgents in Aleppo
- 00:20 CET Blasts in northeast Nigeria’s Maiduguri kill at least seven – Red…
- 00:05 CET U.S., Australia rebuff China over South China Sea
- 23:36 CET Exclusive – Syrian army, allies preparing attack in Aleppo area…
- 23:06 CET Exclusive – India battles big pharma over cough syrup abuse…
- 23:01 CET Exclusive – Jeb Bush says Putin’s Russia should face consequences…
- 22:47 CET Islamic State urges jihad against Russians, Americans – audio
- 22:40 CET Britain and China to hail ‘golden’ ties during Xi visit