13/03/13 03:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Spain has pledged 3.5 billion euros over the next four years to help ease mass unemployment among the country’s youth, with a third of the money coming from a special European fund.
The country has a 26 percent unemployment rate, but among 18 to 26-year-olds that figure raises to 50 percent.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced more than a hundred measures including tax breaks for young freelance workers and for companies that hire staff in their twenties.
“The crisis is forcing many young people to leave Spain,” Rajoy said. “Precisely those who don’t give up, the most dynamic, those who we really need to preserve. Every effort to regain that talent will not be enough.”
Public anger over austerity measures is growing as Spain enters its fifth year of economic stagnation and recession.
The government has trimmed the budget by tens of billions of euros this year and last.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
EU Commission calls for Schengen zone visa-free travel for Turks
80,000 flee as inferno threatens Canadian oil hub
Aleppo a city of slaughter as diplomats struggle for solutions
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Wires > News
- 14:02 CET Car bomb targets Turkish military, air strikes destroy militant…
- 13:51 CET China, Laos increase security cooperation after attacks on Chinese
- 13:50 CET EU proposes easy visas for Kosovo citizens
- 13:47 CET Libya’s east tests muscle with oil shipment, troop dispatches
- 13:40 CET Protesters hurl stones at police after rape, murder of Indian woman
- 13:38 CET Turkish PM under pressure as rift with Erdogan deepens
- 13:36 CET U.S. warns of more risks in Iraq after Navy SEAL’s death
- 13:29 CET Russia withdraws 30 aircraft from Syria – TASS cites defence…