One of the challenges facing the new pope and the Catholic Church is how best to help and bring comfort to Christians who feel persecuted in North Africa and the Middle East.
Many Christians living in Egypt worry about their future under a Muslim Brotherhood president.
However, an Egyptian Muslim living in Cairo described a peaceful coexistence.
“Christians have been my neighbours for 65 years. If you look at my phone, most of my friends are Christians. If my Christian friend has a problem, I’d never leave him alone and he feels the same about me,” he said.
What do the roughly 10 percent of Egypt’s roughly 82.5 million people that are Christians want from a new pope?
“We hope that the new pope will take care of the Christians in the East and care about their suffering. I hope he will unite all Church denominations under his leadership – Egypt, Greek Christians and the rest,” said one Christian man in Cairo.
President Mohamed Morsi has been accused of not defending Egypt’s Christians from a rising number of attacks.
Now it’s time for the Church to play a role, according to Italian archbishop Salvatore Rino Fisichella.
“Religions can not exist in perpetual violence. We have to assume our important responsibilities regarding Christians, so that people won’t be persecuted like martyrs, or exposed to new forms of persecutions, I such as derision, marginalisation or discrimination,” said Fisichella.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Peru: Tens of thousands hold anti-Fujimori rally ahead of presidential poll
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Costa Concordia captain has appeal rejected
Wires > News
- 09:12 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 08:55 CET Dead tigers found in Thai temple amid trafficking fears
- 08:40 CET Japan PM delaying sales tax rise, fiscal reform on back burner
- 08:34 CET Turkish PM Yildirim says German vote on Armenian killings…
- 08:25 CET Turkish army kills 14 Islamic State militants near Aleppo
- 07:24 CET Thailand jails country singer for seven years in royal insult case
- 07:18 CET Peru’s Kuczynski backs out of plans to join anti-Fujimori rally
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says