One of the challenges facing the new pope and the Catholic Church is how best to help and bring comfort to Christians who feel persecuted in North Africa and the Middle East.
Many Christians living in Egypt worry about their future under a Muslim Brotherhood president.
However, an Egyptian Muslim living in Cairo described a peaceful coexistence.
“Christians have been my neighbours for 65 years. If you look at my phone, most of my friends are Christians. If my Christian friend has a problem, I’d never leave him alone and he feels the same about me,” he said.
What do the roughly 10 percent of Egypt’s roughly 82.5 million people that are Christians want from a new pope?
“We hope that the new pope will take care of the Christians in the East and care about their suffering. I hope he will unite all Church denominations under his leadership – Egypt, Greek Christians and the rest,” said one Christian man in Cairo.
President Mohamed Morsi has been accused of not defending Egypt’s Christians from a rising number of attacks.
Now it’s time for the Church to play a role, according to Italian archbishop Salvatore Rino Fisichella.
“Religions can not exist in perpetual violence. We have to assume our important responsibilities regarding Christians, so that people won’t be persecuted like martyrs, or exposed to new forms of persecutions, I such as derision, marginalisation or discrimination,” said Fisichella.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount