12/03/13 10:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
North Korea has cut off a humanitarian hotline with the South and torn up the armistice that ended the Korean War in the 1950s. As tension escalates, the US has announced more sanctions following a UN vote last week to expand measures against Pyongyang after its latest nuclear test in February.
The Red Cross hotline has been used by both North and South Korea for general communication and to discuss aid shipments.
North Korean state-run TV showed images of mass rallies in several parts of the country. It is not clear exactly when they took place, but thousands of soldiers and civilians turned out to denounce the country’s enemies. A military general in the southern Hangyong province told the crowd: “US imperialists and their puppet warmongers should realise who they’re dealing with”.
Pyongyang has threatened a nuclear strike over annual military exercises currently taking place between the South and the US. The joint drills involving 10,000 South Korean and 3,500 American troops are due to last two weeks.
The South Korean capital saw demonstrations against the military drills on Monday, with protesters calling for peace talks.
Despite the war of words some analysts believe an actual clash is unlikely, seeing the North’s belligerence as an attempt to forge national unity and force the South and the US to engage in dialogue.
- 1Putin warns Finland: Russia will respond if Helsinki joins NATO
- 2Bangladesh police storm Dhaka restaurant after gun attack and siege
- 3Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
- 4EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 5‘Bring on Portugal!’ Wales fans ecstatic at historic win over Belgium
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
Latest world news
Dhaka cafe siege ends: 20 civilians killed, 13 hostages freed
Bangladesh police storm Dhaka siege café, ‘several hostages freed’
‘Bring on Portugal!’ Wales fans ecstatic at historic win over Belgium
Turnbull and Shorten in tight contest as Australia votes in general election
Man jailed by German court for stabbing mayor of Cologne
Wires > News
- 11:01 CET Serbian man kills 5, injures 22, in cafe shooting
- 11:00 CET Taliban leader says foreigners must quit Afghanistan for peace
- 10:34 CET Islamic gunmen kill 20 before Bangladesh commandos end siege
- 09:01 CET Vietnam urges ‘fair’ ruling from court handling South China Sea…
- 02:53 CET Murders in El Salvador drop by half in June
- 02:22 CET Venezuela’s Maduro ends power rationing as drought eases
- 01:58 CET Mexico air lifts food into villages as teacher blockades spread
- 00:56 CET Gingrich, Christie lead Trump list of vice presidential options