Travellers face chaos across northern Europe as snow has blocked motorways and airports.
Flights between Paris and Frankfurt were cancelled and the Eurostar train service between London, Paris and Brussels has been suspended because of the weather.
There were huge traffic jams across Belgium and northern France. Some towns in the north of France were cut off by more than 50cm of snow, and there have been many reports of electricity cuts.
In the south of the UK, roads were blocked by snow and hundreds of drivers were trapped in their cars.
A group of 120 German school children had to be given emergency accommodation in Hastings Town Hall when they became stranded by the weather conditions.
In Germany the snow caused chaos on the roads, and Frankfurt airport had to be closed with hundreds of flights cancelled.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Death penalty sought for South Carolina church shooter
More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
Wires > News
- 09:03 CET Kyrgyzstan protests over Kazakh minister’s toilet cleaning comment
- 08:56 CET Japan PM to discuss Okinawa crime with Obama ahead of G7
- 08:17 CET Euro zone hails ‘breakthrough’ with Greece, IMF debt deal
- 08:14 CET Islamic State “falsely claiming” attacks in Bangladesh
- 08:08 CET Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- 08:03 CET Australia immigration policy threatens to hijack election agenda
- 07:39 CET Afghan Taliban appoint new leader after Mansour’s death
- 07:30 CET Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital