12/03/13 16:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Israeli President Shimon Peres called for the Arab League to intervene in Syria in an historic address to the European Parliament on Tuesday.
Peres said any intervention by Western forces would be perceived as a foreign interference and that the international community “cannot stand by when a massacre is carried out by the Syrian president against his own people and his own children.”
“The Arab League can and should form a provisional government in Syria to stop the massacre. UN should support the Arab League to build an Arab force in blue helmets,” he told MEPs in Strasbourg, becoming the first Israeli head of state to address the chamber since Chaim Herzog 28 years ago.
Peres, whose role is ceremonial, said that would be the best option to end the conflict and stop chemical weapons falling into the wrong hands.
He also urged the EU blacklist the Lebanese militant Shia group, Hezbollah, which is strongly backed by Iran.
“Call terror terror. Save Lebanon from terrorist madness, save the Syrian people from Iran’s proxies. Save your citizens and ours from Hezbollah. Hezbollah is a terror organisation, not a political movement,” he told lawmakers.
Both Israel and the United States have been pushing the European Union to take such action against Hezbollah, which is already blacklisted by Washington.
Peres also said the formation of a new Israeli government would provide an opportunity to renew peace talks with the Palestinians.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze