Israeli President Shimon Peres called for the Arab League to intervene in Syria in an historic address to the European Parliament on Tuesday.
Peres said any intervention by Western forces would be perceived as a foreign interference and that the international community “cannot stand by when a massacre is carried out by the Syrian president against his own people and his own children.”
“The Arab League can and should form a provisional government in Syria to stop the massacre. UN should support the Arab League to build an Arab force in blue helmets,” he told MEPs in Strasbourg, becoming the first Israeli head of state to address the chamber since Chaim Herzog 28 years ago.
Peres, whose role is ceremonial, said that would be the best option to end the conflict and stop chemical weapons falling into the wrong hands.
He also urged the EU blacklist the Lebanese militant Shia group, Hezbollah, which is strongly backed by Iran.
“Call terror terror. Save Lebanon from terrorist madness, save the Syrian people from Iran’s proxies. Save your citizens and ours from Hezbollah. Hezbollah is a terror organisation, not a political movement,” he told lawmakers.
Both Israel and the United States have been pushing the European Union to take such action against Hezbollah, which is already blacklisted by Washington.
Peres also said the formation of a new Israeli government would provide an opportunity to renew peace talks with the Palestinians.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union