It still remains an outside possibility, but some insiders are speculating the next pope could be American.
The taboo against an American is an unspoken geopolitical hang-up – but now could be the time for change.
“There are two main credible figures, Cardinal Timothy Dolan in New York and Cardinal Sean O’Malley in Boston,” said Franca Giansoldati, Vatican reporter for the Roman newspaper Il Messaggero.
“They have managed to reunite believers with the Church after the Vatileaks scandal and the paedophile crisis, which had damaged the Church. They are modern and have a modern way to seeing things. I think they have a chance,” added Giansoldati.
Often described as charismatic, Dolan was educated in Rome and has led the American seminary there.
He has also been president of the American bishops since being elected in 2009.
However, his high-profile media presence may irritate some of the cardinals.
Unlike Dolan, O’Malley speaks Italian, which is always seen essential for a pope due to his day-to-day work.
Nevertheless, O’Malley’s modern ways may count against him as some see him as too progressive to attract the Church’s conservative core leadership.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…