Turnout in European elections has been on the slide in every successive vote since the EU parliament was first directly-elected in 1979.
Now the latest bright idea from Brussels is hold the vote on the same day in each country to boost participation.
That will be problematic for the UK, where ballots are traditionally cast on Thursdays.
Six nations hold their European elections on Saturday, whilst the rest of the 17 EU member states choose to vote on Sundays.
Another idea being floated by Eurocrats is allow each political party sitting in the parliament to pick a candidate to lead the European Commission.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy