Turnout in European elections has been on the slide in every successive vote since the EU parliament was first directly-elected in 1979.
Now the latest bright idea from Brussels is hold the vote on the same day in each country to boost participation.
That will be problematic for the UK, where ballots are traditionally cast on Thursdays.
Six nations hold their European elections on Saturday, whilst the rest of the 17 EU member states choose to vote on Sundays.
Another idea being floated by Eurocrats is allow each political party sitting in the parliament to pick a candidate to lead the European Commission.
- 1Brussels refugee camp cleared
- 2Discrimination on the rise in Europe
- 3Europe’s carmakers ‘tricking’ drivers on fuel efficiency, new report claims
- 4Migrant summit: Hungary’s Orban suggests Greece should allow others to defend its borders
- 5Europe Weekly: EU leaders try to patch up differences on migration
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 18Stay in Turkey, Hungary’s Orban tells Syrian refugees
- 19Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 20Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?