The UK’s anti-fraud agency has confirmed it is investigating British software firm Autonomy, which has been accused of accounting irregularities by its new US owners Hewlett-Packard.
But the Serious Fraud Office said it might have to bow out, because of a conflict of interest in its investigation as it is using a computer document management programme produced by Autonomy.
“The SFO is keen to ensure that there is now no conflict of interest or perception of such a conflict, and it is obliged as a first step to make inquiries to ensure that it can continue as the investigating body,” it said in a statement.
HP has said in regulatory documents that the SFO had joined the US Department of Justice and the UK accounting regulator, the Financial Reporting Council, in opening a probe into Autonomy.
The former owners of Autonomy deny Hewlett-Packard’s accusation that its value was inflated prior to the sale. HP bought Autonomy for $11.1 billion in 2011.
Autonomy’s former chief executive Mike Lynch, an Irish-born mathematics whiz who led the firm when it was sold, has blamed the fall in its valuation on HP’s mismanagement. He has hired one of London’s top law firms, Clifford Chance, to contest the allegations.
- 1Germany won’t lower minimum wage for migrants, says economy minister Gabriel
- 2Nestlé praised for admitting slave labour used in Thai supply chain
- 3Summer tourism helps Spain’s economy grow more than other eurozone countries
- 4Russia-Turkey trade in question as Moscow to ‘reconsider’ ties with Ankara
- 5Barclays fined 103m euros for failing to run checks on rich clients
- 1New 20 euro notes come into play on Wednesday
- 2Russia-Turkey trade in question as Moscow to ‘reconsider’ ties with Ankara
- 3Nestlé praised for admitting slave labour used in Thai supply chain
- 4Spain’s solar energy firm Abengoa begins insolvency proceedings
- 5Beaujolais Nouveau launched on cue as wine producers show solidarity with Paris
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
latest economy news
Britain’s economy slows as trade hit by global decline
More shoppers go online for Black Friday bargains
Athens ‘agrees new measures’ to secure next bailout funds
Will anti-austerity Portugal become the new Greece?
Summer tourism helps Spain’s economy grow more than other eurozone countries
Wires > Business
- 05:58 CET Exclusive: Lazard works with Sanofi on $12.7 billion animal health…
- 23:58 CET Murdoch: Tribune papers likely to be sold, LA Times split off
- 21:48 CET Brazil to sue BHP, Vale for $5 billion in damages for dam burst
- 20:41 CET Britons head online in hunt for Black Friday bargains
- 19:49 CET Nissan board to discuss French Renault power struggle – paper
- 19:40 CET Class action suit against Barclays alleges forex rigging losses
- 19:37 CET Exclusive: Gazprom’s Medvedev to meet EU antitrust chief next…
- 19:06 CET Carney continues to see strong UK domestic demand