The trial of seven suspected killers of a Dutch volunteer football referee began in a court in Lelystad on Monday with a pro-forma hearing.
In an incident that sent shockwaves through the Netherlands 41-year old Richard Nieuwenhuizen was attacked by players while officiating an under-17 match that his son was playing in in December.
He died the following day after failing to recover from his injures.
Dutch police arrested seven teenagers and the father of one of the players – although a 15-year-old boy was later released.
The seven suspects remain in custody and appeared in front of the court today for a hearing that focused on organisational matters rather than the content of the case which is expected to be dealt with in May.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > Sport
- 10:18 CET Kenya could pull out of Rio Olympics due to Zika concerns -…
- 09:47 CET Chelsea must reach FA Cup or Champions League final – Courtois
- 08:36 CET Winger Januzaj limps out of Manchester United reserves match
- 08:07 CET Multi-talented Barty’s return to court a loss for cricket
- 07:39 CET Confident Arsenal hopes to stifle Leicester charge
- 06:10 CET Exclusive – U.S. athletes should consider skipping Rio if fear…
- 01:18 CET Derrick, Montagliani launch bids to lead CONCACAF
- 00:20 CET Messi undergoes tests for kidney problems