The trial of seven suspected killers of a Dutch volunteer football referee began in a court in Lelystad on Monday with a pro-forma hearing.
In an incident that sent shockwaves through the Netherlands 41-year old Richard Nieuwenhuizen was attacked by players while officiating an under-17 match that his son was playing in in December.
He died the following day after failing to recover from his injures.
Dutch police arrested seven teenagers and the father of one of the players – although a 15-year-old boy was later released.
The seven suspects remain in custody and appeared in front of the court today for a hearing that focused on organisational matters rather than the content of the case which is expected to be dealt with in May.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 05:37 CET Ebola, fire threaten to derail Commonwealth Youth Games
- 04:56 CET Australia coach backtracks in pay dispute row
- 04:37 CET Composed Murray swats aside Kyrgios to reach second round
- 04:25 CET Martin elected president of Commonwealth Games Federation
- 04:23 CET Wrestler Snuka charged with killing girlfriend in 1983
- 02:45 CET Liberia back home for Nations Cup qualifiers
- 02:23 CET Berto ‘on a mission’ to unseat Mayweather
- 02:19 CET Serena to headline Day Three at U.S. Open