Protesters in Rome staged a demonstration aimed at the new pope. His identity remains a mystery, his dress code does not. Ermine fur will edge his ceremonial robes and that brought activists to demonstrate outside the Holy Father’s tailors in Rome.
“Animals also have a spirit,” they chanted upsetting the neighbours and catching the discreet tailors by surprise.
“We are here wondering if the Vatican is going back to the middle ages rather than being in 2013.Because the new pope is going to wear also a cloak with fur. So we are going to pray and ask the new pope not to wear furs,” explained Walter Caporale who is President of the group Animalisti Italiani Onlus.
For the Gammarelli tailors who will dress the new pontiff from head to toe his identity has not exercised their minds but his size.
Their guidance has been practical rather than spiritual. Small, medium and large garments have been prepared as have shoes of every size.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…