A full ban on cosmetics that have been tested on animals entered into force across the EU on Monday.
The ban, announced by the European Commission, extends previous restrictions and now outlaws the sale of products tested on animals outside Europe.
Firms had gotten around an earlier ban by having tests carried out outside the EU, and therefore out of regulators’ reach.
The EU banned animal testing of finished cosmetic products since 2004.
The ban on cosmetics containing animal-tested ingredients was first agreed in 2009.
Yet many loopholes remained in place after intensive lobbying by the cosmetics industry.
However, products that use ingredients tested on animals before the ban can remain on the shelves.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news