The main prize for best creative documentary at the Film Festival and Forum for Human Rights in Geneva went to a German production, which mixed documentary footage with animation.
Mark Wiese’s Camp 14: Total Control Zone film tells the story of a young man born into a camp in North Korea for political prisoners, where his parents were serving a life sentence.
Wiese spent some two years with former prisoner Shin Dong-hyuk, who grew up in an alternative world of executions, beatings and humiliations.
He said: “He spent 24 years in a camp. Under the threat of death penalty it is forbidden to talk about the world outside the camp and the life he spent in the camp – so for 24 years Shin (the main character) did not even know that the world on the other side of the barbed wire could be different.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest cinema news
Stars and gondolas, Venice Film Festivals opens on top of the world
Redford and Nolte take a hike in A Walk in the Woods
‘No Escape’ puts Owen Wilson’s family in peril
“The 33” digs into 2010 Chilean mining rescue and media circus
Rap biopic rules Hollywood as NWA stay top for second week