The main prize for best creative documentary at the Film Festival and Forum for Human Rights in Geneva went to a German production, which mixed documentary footage with animation.
Mark Wiese’s Camp 14: Total Control Zone film tells the story of a young man born into a camp in North Korea for political prisoners, where his parents were serving a life sentence.
Wiese spent some two years with former prisoner Shin Dong-hyuk, who grew up in an alternative world of executions, beatings and humiliations.
He said: “He spent 24 years in a camp. Under the threat of death penalty it is forbidden to talk about the world outside the camp and the life he spent in the camp – so for 24 years Shin (the main character) did not even know that the world on the other side of the barbed wire could be different.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections