This season’s form skier Tina Maze put herself on track for a grand slam of crystal globes with victory in the slalom at Ofterschwang Germany.
Maze was second after the morning run but fought back in style in the second to snatch her 10th victory of the World Cup season, her second in a
slalom. The Slovenian’s win lifted her to the top of the world cup slalom standings and also increased her all-time points record in the overall World Cup standings to 2.254.
Maze remains in contention to win all four discipline World Cups on top of the overall title.
In the slalom standings she now leads second-placed Mikaela Shiffrin by seven points with only one race left at the World Cup finals in Lenzerheide next week.
Shiffrin – the American teenage sensation who won slalom gold at the world championships in Schladming early last month and three slalom races on the World Cup circuit this year – had to settle for third place on the day.
The 17-year-old from Vail, Colorado led after the first leg but was third fastest in the second to slip down the podium behind Maze and Swiss skier Wendy Holdener.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 21:55 CET China’s Qiu equals Louganis record
- 21:28 CET Gomez wins in Rio amid concern over roads
- 21:04 CET Arsenal get morale-boosting win over Chelsea
- 20:24 CET Drucker wins RideLondon-Surrey classic
- 20:19 CET De Jong double lifts PSV to Dutch Super Cup glory
- 19:43 CET Athletics roiled by mass doping allegations after blood test leak
- 18:38 CET Italy’s Berlusconi agrees AC Milan stake sale by end Sept
- 17:34 CET Jorgensen wins 12th race in a row in Rio