Ivica Kostelic won his first world cup slalom race of the season on Sunday with victory in Kranjska Gora.
The 2011 overall world cup champion and three time defending combined champion had been hampered all season with a knee injury.
But the 33-year-old Zagreb native showed no signs of pain as he clocked a winning combined time of one minute 45.81 seconds to top the podium 10 years after his first victory in the Slovenian resort.
Marcel Hirscher recovered from a disappointing first run in the morning to claim second place and secure the World Cup title in the discipline.
The 24-year-old Austrian also strengthened his overall World Cup lead as he opened up an advantage of 149 points over closest challenger Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway before the Lenzerheide finals next week.
Hirscher’s Austrian teammate Mario Matt rounded off the podium in third place. The 2007 and 2011 slalom winner in Kranjska Gora was 0.34 seconds behind Kostelic.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 3France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 2FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
- 3The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 4NBA Western Conference Final: Durant stars as Oklahoma thrash Warriors to lead playoff
- 5Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3World champions Germany and holders Spain name provisional Euro 2016 squads
- 4Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
- 5Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
Wires > Sport
- 14:32 CET Muguruza eases past French wild card to reach third round
- 14:28 CET Painful final defeats will spur Liverpool next season – Origi
- 14:09 CET Mourinho can deliver exciting football at United, says Scholes
- 13:50 CET An impressive Nishikori races into third round in Paris
- 13:36 CET Switzerland midfielder Xhaka agrees to join Arsenal
- 13:13 CET Tyson lands knockout blow against professionals at Rio
- 13:09 CET Halep keeps her wits to reach round three
- 11:51 CET Frank de Boer keen on Everton job, says brother Ronald