Ivica Kostelic won his first world cup slalom race of the season on Sunday with victory in Kranjska Gora.
The 2011 overall world cup champion and three time defending combined champion had been hampered all season with a knee injury.
But the 33-year-old Zagreb native showed no signs of pain as he clocked a winning combined time of one minute 45.81 seconds to top the podium 10 years after his first victory in the Slovenian resort.
Marcel Hirscher recovered from a disappointing first run in the morning to claim second place and secure the World Cup title in the discipline.
The 24-year-old Austrian also strengthened his overall World Cup lead as he opened up an advantage of 149 points over closest challenger Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway before the Lenzerheide finals next week.
Hirscher’s Austrian teammate Mario Matt rounded off the podium in third place. The 2007 and 2011 slalom winner in Kranjska Gora was 0.34 seconds behind Kostelic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 2Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 3François d’Haene wins Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc
- 4Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 5Fans pay tribute to striker Ebosse
- 1Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 17:44 CET Aston Villa sign Cleverley on loan in late deal
- 17:23 CET Australia beat South Africa by 62 runs
- 16:41 CET Ryder Cup joy for veteran Westwood and rookie Gallacher
- 16:39 CET Misbah going back to basics to solve batting slump
- 15:57 CET Golf: Jacklin thrilled rookie Gallacher proved him wrong
- 15:54 CET Analysis – Premier League the biggest winner as talent pours in
- 15:35 CET Golf-Target man Poulter relishing Ryder Cup battle
- 15:33 CET World Cup winner Durm extends Dortmund deal to 2019