Ivica Kostelic won his first world cup slalom race of the season on Sunday with victory in Kranjska Gora.
The 2011 overall world cup champion and three time defending combined champion had been hampered all season with a knee injury.
But the 33-year-old Zagreb native showed no signs of pain as he clocked a winning combined time of one minute 45.81 seconds to top the podium 10 years after his first victory in the Slovenian resort.
Marcel Hirscher recovered from a disappointing first run in the morning to claim second place and secure the World Cup title in the discipline.
The 24-year-old Austrian also strengthened his overall World Cup lead as he opened up an advantage of 149 points over closest challenger Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway before the Lenzerheide finals next week.
Hirscher’s Austrian teammate Mario Matt rounded off the podium in third place. The 2007 and 2011 slalom winner in Kranjska Gora was 0.34 seconds behind Kostelic.
- 1Bolt and Gatlin ready for 200 metre final at Beijing
- 2Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
- 3Double gold win for Japan at World Judo Championships
- 4IAAF Championships Beijing: Two Kenyan runners test positive for doping
- 5Flores wins in Tahiti five years after last major surf victory
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 5Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Why World Elephant Day matters
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
- 20Who are the six EU countries with shortest memories on migration?
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Vuelta a Espana: Chaves reclaims the overall race lead with stage six success
Trstenjak and Nagase win gold on day four of Judo World Championships
Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
Wires > Sport
- 14:36 CET Robben replaces Van Persie as Netherlands captain
- 14:33 CET Neymar may make Barca return against Malaga – coach
- 14:29 CET Two more milestones for Mourinho
- 14:19 CET Americans Harper-Nelson, Harrison out of hurdles
- 14:03 CET Liverpool’s Can earns Germany call-up for Euro qualifiers
- 13:14 CET No more recruits for PSG, door ajar for Lavezzi
- 13:01 CET Sturridge back in training, Markovic set for exit
- 13:00 CET Leverkusen sign Slovenian Kampl as forward Son joins Tottenham