Ivica Kostelic won his first world cup slalom race of the season on Sunday with victory in Kranjska Gora.
The 2011 overall world cup champion and three time defending combined champion had been hampered all season with a knee injury.
But the 33-year-old Zagreb native showed no signs of pain as he clocked a winning combined time of one minute 45.81 seconds to top the podium 10 years after his first victory in the Slovenian resort.
Marcel Hirscher recovered from a disappointing first run in the morning to claim second place and secure the World Cup title in the discipline.
The 24-year-old Austrian also strengthened his overall World Cup lead as he opened up an advantage of 149 points over closest challenger Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway before the Lenzerheide finals next week.
Hirscher’s Austrian teammate Mario Matt rounded off the podium in third place. The 2007 and 2011 slalom winner in Kranjska Gora was 0.34 seconds behind Kostelic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Borussia Dortmund raise capital with Puma set to buy stake
- 2Pope Francis greets players and manager from San Lorenzo football team
- 3Subwing: the new sport sweeping Europe that let’s you swim like a dolphin
- 4Borussia Dortmund down Bayern Munich to claim German Supercup
- 5Fifteen-year-old Martin Odegaard set to make Norwegian soccer history
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 7Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 8Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 9Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 10Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 13Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 12:36 CET Bottas fastest in final Spa practise
- 12:24 CET Ledecky breaks 400m world record
- 12:21 CET Spa remains a track for all the ages
- 11:44 CET Nishikori frets over fitness ahead of U.S. Open
- 04:05 CET Champions League qualifiers may be better in May
- 02:55 CET Newey fears for wasted youth of boy racers
- 00:53 CET Atletico’s Mandzukic strikes early to clinch Super Cup
- 23:46 CET Robben, Mueller score as Bayern start with win