Ivica Kostelic won his first world cup slalom race of the season on Sunday with victory in Kranjska Gora.
The 2011 overall world cup champion and three time defending combined champion had been hampered all season with a knee injury.
But the 33-year-old Zagreb native showed no signs of pain as he clocked a winning combined time of one minute 45.81 seconds to top the podium 10 years after his first victory in the Slovenian resort.
Marcel Hirscher recovered from a disappointing first run in the morning to claim second place and secure the World Cup title in the discipline.
The 24-year-old Austrian also strengthened his overall World Cup lead as he opened up an advantage of 149 points over closest challenger Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway before the Lenzerheide finals next week.
Hirscher’s Austrian teammate Mario Matt rounded off the podium in third place. The 2007 and 2011 slalom winner in Kranjska Gora was 0.34 seconds behind Kostelic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > Sport
- 06:49 CET Australian amateur Murdaca books U.S. Masters berth
- 02:01 CET Disappointed captain Clarke says lacking match practice
- 00:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 23:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 21:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 21:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 21:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 20:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon