Ivica Kostelic won his first world cup slalom race of the season on Sunday with victory in Kranjska Gora.
The 2011 overall world cup champion and three time defending combined champion had been hampered all season with a knee injury.
But the 33-year-old Zagreb native showed no signs of pain as he clocked a winning combined time of one minute 45.81 seconds to top the podium 10 years after his first victory in the Slovenian resort.
Marcel Hirscher recovered from a disappointing first run in the morning to claim second place and secure the World Cup title in the discipline.
The 24-year-old Austrian also strengthened his overall World Cup lead as he opened up an advantage of 149 points over closest challenger Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway before the Lenzerheide finals next week.
Hirscher’s Austrian teammate Mario Matt rounded off the podium in third place. The 2007 and 2011 slalom winner in Kranjska Gora was 0.34 seconds behind Kostelic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 17Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 00:28 CET Real Madrid beat San Lorenzo to lift Club World Cup
- 22:56 CET Barca well-placed and with room for improvement, says coach
- 21:48 CET Former bricklayer Austin is QPR’s hat-trick hero
- 19:13 CET PSG miss out on top spot after Montpellier draw
- 18:28 CET Disastrous Dortmund end year with loss at Bremen
- 18:23 CET Dominguez to coach Toulon, Nonu to join after World Cup
- 18:21 CET England’s Hartley sees red for elbow
- 17:42 CET Vergne named Ferrari simulator driver