BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Italian government backs hostage death claim


Nigeria

Italian government backs hostage death claim

Claims by Nigerian militant group Ansaru that it killed seven hostages seized last month have been backed by the Italian government while the Greek foreign ministry said it believes its national is dead.

Britain has followed saying the British hostage: “is likely to have been killed”.

On Monday Ansaru posted a video of what it said was the mens’ bodies on the internet.

The hostages from Italy, Britain, Greece and Lebanon were captured in a raid in the northern state of Bauchi. Ansaru said on Saturday it had killed the seven because of an apparent rescue attempt.

The hostages had been seized from a construction site compound.

The Italian government has contested claims by Ansuru that British and Nigerian forces tried to rescue the workers and added the groups actions “can have no explanation other than blind and barbaric violence”.

Nigerian authorities have said they still have no information on any such killings.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Freedom concerns in Hungary