10/03/13 00:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Demonstrators turned out in force in several Japanese cities in the run-up to the second anniversary of the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
March 11 is the exact date of the earthquake and tsunami that sent the Dai-ichi nuclear plant into multiple meltdowns – but since then protesters say little has changed.
Instead of seeking alternative ways of generating energy they claim the government intends to restart the damaged reactors and may even build new ones.Housewife,Kazuko Moto said she had wanted to join the rally as nuclear power still exists even though it’s almost two years since the disaster.
There were also protests in the French capital where thousands joined hands across Paris and and encircled government buildings which play a key role in the French nuclear industry.
Greenpeace spokeswoman Sophia Majnoni said: “I think Fukushima was quite a shock for French people because it was happening in a very industrialised country, in a country like ours. And that’s maybe why people feel more concerned by the Fukushima accident than by the one at Chernobyl.”
And in Germany protesters staged a mock radioactive contamination exercise outside one of the country’s nuclear plants.
Although Berlin has speeded up the decommissioning of its reactors in the wake of Fukushima, environmentalists claim it’s not acting fast enough.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack