Ted Ligety won his fifth giant slalom (GS) of the season on Saturday, March 9, in Kranjska Gora Slovenia.
In doing so he clinched the World Cup discipline title with a race to spare.
This is the fourth time the skier from the United States has won the title having also done so in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
The 28-year-old also defended his GS title at the world championships last month.
Finishing 0.45 seconds behind was Marcel Hirscher. The 23-year-old had been a close second in the GS but he now falls an unbridgeable 125 points behind.
It was still a good result for the Austrian however as he increases his lead in the overall standings to 69 points.
Second placed Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth on the day 1.30 seconds behind.
Third place went to Alexis Pinturault of France, 0.77 seconds off the pace of Ligety. The 21-year-old is sixth overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 6European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 7McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 8Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 9Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 12NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 15Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 03:01 CET Armitage banned for 12 weeks after abusive rant
- 02:04 CET Sitting at the top table with Argentine Speroni
- 01:32 CET All Black Carter to join French club after World Cup
- 00:44 CET Wallabies Ashley-Cooper, Horwill hopping to Europe
- 23:48 CET Allegri ban overturned
- 23:16 CET Bolt against changes to athletics programme
- 22:26 CET FIFA ethics investigator Garcia resigns in protest
- 22:19 CET Tyson Gay’s former coach suspended eight years