Ted Ligety won his fifth giant slalom (GS) of the season on Saturday, March 9, in Kranjska Gora Slovenia.
In doing so he clinched the World Cup discipline title with a race to spare.
This is the fourth time the skier from the United States has won the title having also done so in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
The 28-year-old also defended his GS title at the world championships last month.
Finishing 0.45 seconds behind was Marcel Hirscher. The 23-year-old had been a close second in the GS but he now falls an unbridgeable 125 points behind.
It was still a good result for the Austrian however as he increases his lead in the overall standings to 69 points.
Second placed Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth on the day 1.30 seconds behind.
Third place went to Alexis Pinturault of France, 0.77 seconds off the pace of Ligety. The 21-year-old is sixth overall.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > Sport
- 01:22 CET Bacca double helps Sevilla clinch Europa League
- 00:58 CET Analysis – Quality shines through as Sevilla triumph over Dnipro
- 23:43 CET England’s Hartley ruled out of World Cup opener by ban
- 23:36 CET World football rocked by U.S., Swiss arrests of officials for graft
- 21:55 CET Napoli ban questions about Benitez’s future
- 21:53 CET Todd eyes elite company, and stormy weather
- 21:41 CET Advocaat quits after keeping Sunderland in Premier League
- 18:51 CET Norwich make Dorrans move permanent