Ted Ligety won his fifth giant slalom (GS) of the season on Saturday, March 9, in Kranjska Gora Slovenia.
In doing so he clinched the World Cup discipline title with a race to spare.
This is the fourth time the skier from the United States has won the title having also done so in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
The 28-year-old also defended his GS title at the world championships last month.
Finishing 0.45 seconds behind was Marcel Hirscher. The 23-year-old had been a close second in the GS but he now falls an unbridgeable 125 points behind.
It was still a good result for the Austrian however as he increases his lead in the overall standings to 69 points.
Second placed Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth on the day 1.30 seconds behind.
Third place went to Alexis Pinturault of France, 0.77 seconds off the pace of Ligety. The 21-year-old is sixth overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 13New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:46 CET Ericsson looking to the long run
- 04:14 CET Lerner farewell galvanises Villa talent
- 04:08 CET Messi-Neymar connection clicking before APOEL game
- 04:05 CET Chelsea, Costa set to heap more misery on Schalke
- 03:45 CET Australian cycling shaken up, gets A$2 million loan
- 03:17 CET World 100 metres champion Magnussen splits with coach
- 23:44 CET Tiger expects ‘very full’ schedule next season
- 22:49 CET Champagne to run against FIFA president Blatter