Ted Ligety won his fifth giant slalom (GS) of the season on Saturday, March 9, in Kranjska Gora Slovenia.
In doing so he clinched the World Cup discipline title with a race to spare.
This is the fourth time the skier from the United States has won the title having also done so in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
The 28-year-old also defended his GS title at the world championships last month.
Finishing 0.45 seconds behind was Marcel Hirscher. The 23-year-old had been a close second in the GS but he now falls an unbridgeable 125 points behind.
It was still a good result for the Austrian however as he increases his lead in the overall standings to 69 points.
Second placed Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth on the day 1.30 seconds behind.
Third place went to Alexis Pinturault of France, 0.77 seconds off the pace of Ligety. The 21-year-old is sixth overall.
- 1Euro 2016: Portugal, Poland and Wales through to quarter-finals
- 2Euro 2016: Hungary win Group F, Iceland and Portugal also reach last 16
- 3England exit via Iceland; Italy knock out holders Spain
- 4Euro 2016: Perisic winner for Croatia stuns Spain
- 5Euro 2016: Griezmann saves France blushes, World Champs Germany in cruise control as Red Devils of Belgium too hot to handle
PSG appoint Emery as new coach
Messi quits Argentina after Copa America defeat to Chile
Europeans dominate final day of Budapest Judo Grand Prix
Russia end European Fencing Championships on golden not
Judo: Youthful Japanese team sound Rio warning bells after dominant display at Budapest Grand Prix
Wires > Sport
- 10:21 CET Hend happy to handle Australia’s hopes in Rio golf
- 10:09 CET Batshuayi to join Chelsea, L’Equipe reports
- 09:18 CET Moore hails mental coach after Wimbledon breakthrough
- 08:36 CET Kohli lauds benefits of conditioning to reach next level
- 08:34 CET Dembele says ‘unreal’ to be Rodgers’ first signing at Celtic
- 08:15 CET Alderweireld hopes to link up with Batshuayi at Spurs
- 07:47 CET United make ‘improved offer’ for Dortmund’s Mkhitaryan
- 06:34 CET Montella named as new AC Milan manager