Ted Ligety won his fifth giant slalom (GS) of the season on Saturday, March 9, in Kranjska Gora Slovenia.
In doing so he clinched the World Cup discipline title with a race to spare.
This is the fourth time the skier from the United States has won the title having also done so in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
The 28-year-old also defended his GS title at the world championships last month.
Finishing 0.45 seconds behind was Marcel Hirscher. The 23-year-old had been a close second in the GS but he now falls an unbridgeable 125 points behind.
It was still a good result for the Austrian however as he increases his lead in the overall standings to 69 points.
Second placed Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth on the day 1.30 seconds behind.
Third place went to Alexis Pinturault of France, 0.77 seconds off the pace of Ligety. The 21-year-old is sixth overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > Sport
- 13:35 CET Rugby-England prop Corbisiero ruled out of November tests
- 13:33 CET Under-cooked Man United consider extra friendlies
- 13:30 CET Bouchard, Radwanska beaten in China; Sharapova, Halep win
- 12:26 CET Nadal wins on return, Djokovic stays perfect in Beijing
- 11:51 CET South Africa name Philander in ODI tour squad
- 11:46 CET Norway call up 15-year-old Odegaard for Euro qualifiers
- 11:36 CET Virgin Media complains to regulator over Premier League rights…
- 11:29 CET Australia paceman Johnson still remembers English taunts