Ted Ligety won his fifth giant slalom (GS) of the season on Saturday, March 9, in Kranjska Gora Slovenia.
In doing so he clinched the World Cup discipline title with a race to spare.
This is the fourth time the skier from the United States has won the title having also done so in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
The 28-year-old also defended his GS title at the world championships last month.
Finishing 0.45 seconds behind was Marcel Hirscher. The 23-year-old had been a close second in the GS but he now falls an unbridgeable 125 points behind.
It was still a good result for the Austrian however as he increases his lead in the overall standings to 69 points.
Second placed Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway finished sixth on the day 1.30 seconds behind.
Third place went to Alexis Pinturault of France, 0.77 seconds off the pace of Ligety. The 21-year-old is sixth overall.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 06:26 CET FIFA’s Webb charged in Cayman Island’s corruption case: media
- 04:42 CET USA pound hapless Guatemala 4-0 in friendly
- 04:19 CET England bank on Bayliss to douse Australian fire
- 04:16 CET Guerrero on target as Peru clinch Copa third place again
- 03:26 CET No Blatter, no problem say World Cup organisers
- 03:07 CET Analysis – World Cup final represents classic clash of styles
- 03:00 CET Japan and U.S. set for spicy World Cup final rematch
- 02:36 CET Current Argentina side is one of the best, Martino says