Thousands of people have been queuing to pay their respects to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who died on March 5. He is lying in state at the Caracas military academy.
The government has announced that he will be embalmed.
Chavez’s chosen successor, and Venezuela’s interim President, Nicolas Maduro says the decision has been made to preserve the body:
“We decided to prepare the body of the President, to embalm him, so the coffin can stay open forever. The people will have him in his museum of the revolution. Like Ho-Chi-Min, like Lenin, like Mao,” Maduro said.
Mourner Leonardo Murga, who has seen Chavez’s body, said it had a “good” appearance: “It’s not like we are going to say, ‘how sad, how thin’. He is normal, robust!”
A state funeral is due to be held on March 8. The wake will continue for another week, then Chavez’s body will be laid to rest.
- 1Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 2ISIL training children to kill
- 3Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 4Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 5Show your support for innovative European technology businesses
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 8Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 11Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
- 18Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Clashes in West Bank on “Day of Rage”
MH17: incomplete facts, brutal tragedy
Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
At least five dead, 20 wounded in “Day of Rage” in Israel
YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
Wires > News
- 18:31 CET Expected Polish election winner urges EU climate deal renegotiation
- 18:04 CET Britain and China to hail ‘golden’ ties during Xi visit
- 17:59 CET Syrian rebels fortify frontline with anti-tank missiles
- 16:59 CET Myanmar to hold landmark vote as planned on Nov 8 – state TV
- 16:49 CET Irish government, eye on re-election, reverses cuts in budget
- 16:41 CET Tanzania rolls out birth registrations by mobile phone
- 16:30 CET Tunisia struggles to reform in face of protests
- 16:10 CET Taliban pull back from Kunduz as fighting flares on southern…