A Lebanese player has been banned for a year after assaulting a referee in Beirut on Thursday.
Bachir Awasa was kicked and chased across the field by angry players and staff after issuing yellow and red cards during a second division match between Al-Nahda and Al-Salam Zgharta.
Despite the presence of security personnel and men dressed in army clothing, the chase went on for some three minutes.
Awasa, who decided to quit the job following the incident, is now calling on the Lebanese football association to change its internal laws to guarantee more protection for referees.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > Sport
- 14:38 CET Bayern’s Alaba out for seven weeks
- 13:41 CET Hummels says made no promise to United’s Van Gaal
- 13:37 CET Bremen forward Selke to join ambitious Leipzig
- 13:25 CET Snubbed Kamal quits as ICC president
- 13:14 CET Georgia, Poland face disciplinary action after qualifiers
- 12:40 CET Hiddink ignores criticism and sets forward course
- 10:55 CET Gladbach’s Herrmann extends deal by three years to 2019
- 10:18 CET Spain not worried by friendly reverse to Netherlands