08/03/13 23:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Kenyan election commission says it will announce the result of last Monday’s presidential poll on Saturday morning.
With most votes counted, frontrunner Uhuru Kenyatta has around 50 per cent. If he ends up with a greater share, he will avoid a run-off.
Some seven points behind on 43 per cent, Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s alliance has complained that its candidate has been penalised by a number of missing votes, demanding that counting be stopped.
The process has been plagued by technical problems that saw the electronic system abandoned. However international observers said it should continue.
More serious could be the fact that Kenyatta faces trial in The Hague for crimes against humanity, over mass bloodshed that followed the 2007 election. He denies the accusations.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
‘Scotland’s voice will be heard’ – Sturgeon vows to fight to maintain EU ties
EU leaders gather for the post-Brexit summit in Brussels
Germany says UK will not be allowed to ‘cherry pick’ over Brexit deal
Brexit: bitter exchanges inside EU parliament
Wires > News
- 17:22 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 17:17 CET Cracks show inside Islamic State’s shrinking caliphate
- 17:16 CET Poland risks Moscow’s ire with plan to relocate war memorials
- 16:56 CET Kremlin dents Turkish hopes for quick restoration of ties
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…
- 16:32 CET Former pope Benedict makes rare appearance with successor Francis
- 16:14 CET Top U.S. Republican wants trade talks with Britain
- 16:12 CET Russia says U.S. warship in near miss with Russian vessel in…