08/03/13 02:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Cuba’s President Raul Castro has arrived in Caracas to attend the funeral of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, due to take place on March 8. Castro paid tribute to the Socialist leader, saying he died “invincible” and “victorious”.
Some 30 world leaders are expected at the service – including incumbent Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and his predecessor Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Bolivian President Evo Morales and Argentinian President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner arrived in Caracas on March 6.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is making the trip to pay his respects in person. The United States, of which Chavez was a vocal critic, is also sending a delegation to the ceremony.
Chavez, who died on March 5, is lying in state at the Fort Tiuna military academy in the Venezuelan capital.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Wires > News
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…
- 06:02 CET Pakistan raps Trump over vow to free doctor who helped track bin…