Tennis is to introduce an athlete biological passport programme this year as part of a new anti-doping drive that players themselves have demanded.
The programme, which is already applied in track and field and cycling, tracks a player’s blood profile over time for any changes that could indicate doping.
Several high profile players, including the likes of world number one Novak Djokovic and 17-time major winner Roger Federer have called for more out-of-competition blood tests while Rafael Nadal told journalists on Wednesday that testing should strike a balance between catching the cheats and respecting the athletes.
As with the current drug testing rules, the biological passports will not be compulsory but any athlete who refuses to take part in testing could face punishment.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Iceland beat the Netherlands to close in on first major tournament appearance
Judge overturns Brady’s four-game ‘deflategate’ suspension
Iceland deal major blow to the Netherlands’ Euro 2016 bid
On your marks for the 11th edition of African Games
Vuelta: Van Poppel sprints to Stage 12 honours
Wires > Sport
- 19:41 CET Bayern’s Robben out for four weeks with muscle injury
- 19:04 CET Unreal Raikkonen stuns Ferrari boss
- 17:58 CET Lotus say Renault is not their only option
- 17:57 CET Oliviera wins Vuelta stage 13, Aru still leads
- 17:56 CET United’s ‘lack of experience’ wrecked De Gea deal – Perez
- 16:30 CET Policeman hurt in clashes before Danube derby in Budapest
- 16:05 CET My discipline may have cost United says Ferguson
- 15:57 CET Hamilton fastest as Mercedes have a blast at Monza