Tennis is to introduce an athlete biological passport programme this year as part of a new anti-doping drive that players themselves have demanded.
The programme, which is already applied in track and field and cycling, tracks a player’s blood profile over time for any changes that could indicate doping.
Several high profile players, including the likes of world number one Novak Djokovic and 17-time major winner Roger Federer have called for more out-of-competition blood tests while Rafael Nadal told journalists on Wednesday that testing should strike a balance between catching the cheats and respecting the athletes.
As with the current drug testing rules, the biological passports will not be compulsory but any athlete who refuses to take part in testing could face punishment.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > Sport
- 03:35 CET Argentina hit Paraguay for six to make Copa final
- 03:25 CET Quintana takes the high road en route to Tour
- 03:23 CET England shrug off Japan coach’s ‘superior’ view
- 00:35 CET Hamilton hoping for a pot of gold at Silverstone
- 23:59 CET Sweden lift Euro U21 crown with shootout win over Portugal
- 23:57 CET Pearson’s Leicester adventure runs its course
- 22:58 CET Former Russia captain Arshavin may quit football
- 22:35 CET Blatter decides not to attend women’s World Cup final in Canada