Tennis is to introduce an athlete biological passport programme this year as part of a new anti-doping drive that players themselves have demanded.
The programme, which is already applied in track and field and cycling, tracks a player’s blood profile over time for any changes that could indicate doping.
Several high profile players, including the likes of world number one Novak Djokovic and 17-time major winner Roger Federer have called for more out-of-competition blood tests while Rafael Nadal told journalists on Wednesday that testing should strike a balance between catching the cheats and respecting the athletes.
As with the current drug testing rules, the biological passports will not be compulsory but any athlete who refuses to take part in testing could face punishment.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 18[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 19:03 CET ASOIF suspends SportAccord links over Vizer controversy
- 18:49 CET Inverness defender set to miss final after handball controversy
- 18:18 CET Bruised Mandzukic expected to face Real
- 18:07 CET Liverpool FC renew sponsorship deal with Standard Chartered
- 17:49 CET Coach Hourcade sets Pumas on good World Cup tack
- 16:38 CET Defender Smalling commits to Manchester United
- 16:23 CET Analysis – Hamilton still has work to do in Europe
- 15:05 CET Chelsea face striker crisis ahead of Arsenal showdown