Paris Saint Germain reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League after a one all draw in the second leg was enough to see off Valencia 3-2 on aggregate.
Jonas offered the Spaniards some hope of turning around the 2-1 deficit at the Parc des Prince on 55 minutes but Ezequiel Lavezzi levelled matters to send the French side into the last eight of Europe’s top club competition for the first time since 1995.
Elsewhere Celtic’s fine run in Europe ended at Juventus.
Neil Lennon’s men went into the second leg trailing their hosts 3-0 but the Italians again got the better of the Scottish champions with Alessandro Matri and Fabio Quagliarella’s goals going unanswered.
The 2-0l win on the night sent Juve to the quarter-final stage of the Champions League for the first time in seven years with an emphatic 5-0 aggregate win.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Sport
- 14:39 CET Neymar defies Dunga, backs challenger in presidential election
- 14:29 CET Beale fined but escapes ban for offensive text
- 14:13 CET Caterham F1 Team enter administration
- 13:59 CET Real have Ramos back for clasico but Bale sits it out
- 13:56 CET Suarez to return in clasico, says Barca coach
- 13:52 CET Walcott not yet ready for Arsenal return says Wenger
- 13:29 CET Nadal withdraws from Paris Masters
- 13:27 CET Williams guaranteed year-end number one ranking