Real Madrid qualified for the quarter-finals of the Champions league on Tuesday night after they beat a ten-man Manchester United 2-1 in the second leg at Old Trafford which sent the Spaniards through 3-2 on aggregate.
Sergio Ramos scored an own goal to open the scoring for United before Luca Modric and Cristiano Ronaldo made sure of the win for Jose Mourinho’s men.
On a night when Ryan Giggs made his 1,000th competitive appearance United had to wait until three minutes into the second half to break a thrilling first half goalless stalemate.
Nani’s rifled cross from inside the box was deflected by Danny Welbeck onto the foot of Ramos who in turn sent the ball past Diego Lopez and into his own net.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side were reduced to ten men on 56 minutes turning the match on its head. Nani was harshly shown a straight red by Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir for a high challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa despite the Portuguese winger’s eyes being on the ball throughout.
Real Madrid immediately made their numerical superiority count.
The Spaniards were back on level terms on 66 minutes when former Tottenham star Luca Modric picked up the pace on the edge of the box and unleashed a cracking long range swerving strike to beat United shotstopper David De Gea.
Three minutes later Jose Mourninho’s side were in front and on their way to the quarters when Cristiano Ronaldo lunged to meet Gonzalo Higuain’s low cross at the far post and sent the ball it into the back of the net for what turned out to be the last goal of the night and the all-important winner.
Elsewhere it was a comfortable win for Borussia Dortmund against Shakhtar Donetsk.
Felipe Santana and Mario Goetze were on target in the first half while Jakub Blaszczykowski made the most of a goalkeeping blunder to add a third in the second half to send the German champions through 5-2 on aggregate.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 2Man Utd sign Di Maria for British transfer record
- 3Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 4Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 5Four-time world champion Vettel puts Sochi circuit to test
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 9Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 10Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 13Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 16Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 00:41 CET FIFA and other groups sued in U.S. over concussions
- 00:36 CET Wenger in no rush to bolster attack despite Giroud injury
- 00:24 CET Hewitt pushed to U.S. Open exit, but no retirement talk
- 00:04 CET Rosenberg hails ‘indescribable’ Malmo victory
- 23:29 CET Cameroon’s Eto’o announces international retirement
- 23:21 CET QPR and Aston Villa shocked by lower league opposition
- 21:25 CET Morocco defender Benatia completes move to Bayern from Roma
- 20:35 CET Degenkolb wins successive Vuelta stages, Matthews retains lead