Real Madrid qualified for the quarter-finals of the Champions league on Tuesday night after they beat a ten-man Manchester United 2-1 in the second leg at Old Trafford which sent the Spaniards through 3-2 on aggregate.
Sergio Ramos scored an own goal to open the scoring for United before Luca Modric and Cristiano Ronaldo made sure of the win for Jose Mourinho’s men.
On a night when Ryan Giggs made his 1,000th competitive appearance United had to wait until three minutes into the second half to break a thrilling first half goalless stalemate.
Nani’s rifled cross from inside the box was deflected by Danny Welbeck onto the foot of Ramos who in turn sent the ball past Diego Lopez and into his own net.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side were reduced to ten men on 56 minutes turning the match on its head. Nani was harshly shown a straight red by Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir for a high challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa despite the Portuguese winger’s eyes being on the ball throughout.
Real Madrid immediately made their numerical superiority count.
The Spaniards were back on level terms on 66 minutes when former Tottenham star Luca Modric picked up the pace on the edge of the box and unleashed a cracking long range swerving strike to beat United shotstopper David De Gea.
Three minutes later Jose Mourninho’s side were in front and on their way to the quarters when Cristiano Ronaldo lunged to meet Gonzalo Higuain’s low cross at the far post and sent the ball it into the back of the net for what turned out to be the last goal of the night and the all-important winner.
Elsewhere it was a comfortable win for Borussia Dortmund against Shakhtar Donetsk.
Felipe Santana and Mario Goetze were on target in the first half while Jakub Blaszczykowski made the most of a goalkeeping blunder to add a third in the second half to send the German champions through 5-2 on aggregate.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Sport
- 00:24 CET Stellar Lamela is hot Spur as Tottenham hit five
- 19:52 CET NFL says it’s ‘on track’ in 15-year plan to field London team
- 19:51 CET Pistorius shoves race, crime and punishment in South Africa’s face
- 19:47 CET Moratti ends Inter link after 19 years
- 19:11 CET Bring them on, says smiling Southampton manager Ron
- 19:06 CET Political will key to Beckham’s MLS Miami plan – Garber
- 18:45 CET Brazil ban cell phones, earrings in disciplinary drive
- 18:33 CET Free agent Valdes to train with Manchester United