Real Madrid qualified for the quarter-finals of the Champions league on Tuesday night after they beat a ten-man Manchester United 2-1 in the second leg at Old Trafford which sent the Spaniards through 3-2 on aggregate.
Sergio Ramos scored an own goal to open the scoring for United before Luca Modric and Cristiano Ronaldo made sure of the win for Jose Mourinho’s men.
On a night when Ryan Giggs made his 1,000th competitive appearance United had to wait until three minutes into the second half to break a thrilling first half goalless stalemate.
Nani’s rifled cross from inside the box was deflected by Danny Welbeck onto the foot of Ramos who in turn sent the ball past Diego Lopez and into his own net.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side were reduced to ten men on 56 minutes turning the match on its head. Nani was harshly shown a straight red by Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir for a high challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa despite the Portuguese winger’s eyes being on the ball throughout.
Real Madrid immediately made their numerical superiority count.
The Spaniards were back on level terms on 66 minutes when former Tottenham star Luca Modric picked up the pace on the edge of the box and unleashed a cracking long range swerving strike to beat United shotstopper David De Gea.
Three minutes later Jose Mourninho’s side were in front and on their way to the quarters when Cristiano Ronaldo lunged to meet Gonzalo Higuain’s low cross at the far post and sent the ball it into the back of the net for what turned out to be the last goal of the night and the all-important winner.
Elsewhere it was a comfortable win for Borussia Dortmund against Shakhtar Donetsk.
Felipe Santana and Mario Goetze were on target in the first half while Jakub Blaszczykowski made the most of a goalkeeping blunder to add a third in the second half to send the German champions through 5-2 on aggregate.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hope Sole suspended from US women’s soccer team for ‘incident’
- 2Real Madrid get their teenager as Odegaard signs at 16
- 3Brazilian pro-surfer Ricardo dos Santos shot dead off-duty police officer detained
- 4‘The Corner’s’ take on the Asian Cup, Turkish corruption and Landon Donovan
- 5Five Russian athletes banned
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 19Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > Sport
- 04:41 CET Makarova marches into Australian Open quarter-finals
- 03:28 CET Bouchard beats Begu to reach quarter-finals
- 02:24 CET Rusty short game costs Mickelson a chance to go low
- 01:13 CET Arsenal to buy Villarreal’s Gabriel Paulista
- 00:20 CET Corinthians beat amateur British side Casuals 3-0
- 23:56 CET Rugby union-Wales prop Adam Jones retires from internationals
- 23:52 CET Fit-again Sturridge on verge of Liverpool return
- 22:37 CET Gyan not yet over malaria as he savours vital goal