Real Madrid qualified for the quarter-finals of the Champions league on Tuesday night after they beat a ten-man Manchester United 2-1 in the second leg at Old Trafford which sent the Spaniards through 3-2 on aggregate.
Sergio Ramos scored an own goal to open the scoring for United before Luca Modric and Cristiano Ronaldo made sure of the win for Jose Mourinho’s men.
On a night when Ryan Giggs made his 1,000th competitive appearance United had to wait until three minutes into the second half to break a thrilling first half goalless stalemate.
Nani’s rifled cross from inside the box was deflected by Danny Welbeck onto the foot of Ramos who in turn sent the ball past Diego Lopez and into his own net.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s side were reduced to ten men on 56 minutes turning the match on its head. Nani was harshly shown a straight red by Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir for a high challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa despite the Portuguese winger’s eyes being on the ball throughout.
Real Madrid immediately made their numerical superiority count.
The Spaniards were back on level terms on 66 minutes when former Tottenham star Luca Modric picked up the pace on the edge of the box and unleashed a cracking long range swerving strike to beat United shotstopper David De Gea.
Three minutes later Jose Mourninho’s side were in front and on their way to the quarters when Cristiano Ronaldo lunged to meet Gonzalo Higuain’s low cross at the far post and sent the ball it into the back of the net for what turned out to be the last goal of the night and the all-important winner.
Elsewhere it was a comfortable win for Borussia Dortmund against Shakhtar Donetsk.
Felipe Santana and Mario Goetze were on target in the first half while Jakub Blaszczykowski made the most of a goalkeeping blunder to add a third in the second half to send the German champions through 5-2 on aggregate.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 12:47 CET Newcastle’s Gutierrez to return after beating cancer
- 12:42 CET Ramos caps ‘best year’ with Club World Cup award
- 11:15 CET Simeone wants more of the same from ‘fabulous’ Griezmann
- 09:13 CET Malinga to return from injury during New Zealand ODIs
- 09:10 CET Boxing Day test of India’s resolve in Melbourne
- 06:06 CET No retirement in sight for evergreen Socceroo Cahill
- 04:32 CET Crash rules Gerrans out of Tour Down Under title defence
- 03:30 CET South Korea light on strikers for Asian Cup