Voice of Korea, the international broadcasting service of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, has posted on its YouTube account a full video report showing Kim Jung-un and Dennis Rodman watching a basketball game between the North Korea team and the Harlem Globetrotters.
The North Korean leader and the flamboyant former NBA star enter the Pyongyang stadium under thunderous applause and acclamations from the crowd. The few foreigners in attendance are visibly less enthusiastic than the North Korean spectators.
A whimsically cheerful music provides the soundtrack for the news item while a woman’s voice comments the broadcast and the game. The match ended with a 110-110 tie. More applause and acclamations for Kim Jung-un marked the end of the game as both teams exchanged parting gifts before everybody left for lunch.
“He’s a great guy. He’s awesome and honest,” Rodman told reporters after he returned to the US.
On ABC’s This Week, George Stephanopoulos quizzed Rodman about the bizarre friendship, and asked whether he was aware of Kim’s threats against the United States or the regime’s record on human rights.
“I didn’t look at all of that, I don’t condone that. I hate the fact that he’s doing that. But that’s a human being though. He let his guard down,” Rodman said.
Rodman now has more first-hand experience of the new North Korean leader than any other American.
“What I saw in that country…I saw that people respect him and his family,” said Rodman, adding that Kim has a message for the president: “Call him. I don’t want to do war.”
The basketball star offered a prescription for diplomacy: “Kim loves basketball. Obama loves basketball. Let’s start there.”
Rodman said he planned to go back to North Korea to “find out more about what’s really going on.”
North Korea provoked Western condemnation earlier this month with an underground nuclear test that was preceded by the launch of a long-range missile capable of transporting a warhead in December.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:08 CET Global air ticket fraud sweep nets 118 arrests
- 13:41 CET Jail term of over four years sought for German Islamic State…
- 13:39 CET Cameroon frees Central African rebel chief Miskine for hostages
- 13:23 CET New 15-minute test for Ebola to undergo trials in West Africa
- 13:19 CET France to recognise Palestinian state if peace talks fail
- 13:16 CET Russia protests over anti-Russian billboards in Montenegro
- 13:14 CET Offer Israeli Arabs money to move to Palestinian state – Lieberman
- 13:11 CET India says no contact with 39 men held by Islamic State in Iraq