Voice of Korea, the international broadcasting service of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, has posted on its YouTube account a full video report showing Kim Jung-un and Dennis Rodman watching a basketball game between the North Korea team and the Harlem Globetrotters.
The North Korean leader and the flamboyant former NBA star enter the Pyongyang stadium under thunderous applause and acclamations from the crowd. The few foreigners in attendance are visibly less enthusiastic than the North Korean spectators.
A whimsically cheerful music provides the soundtrack for the news item while a woman’s voice comments the broadcast and the game. The match ended with a 110-110 tie. More applause and acclamations for Kim Jung-un marked the end of the game as both teams exchanged parting gifts before everybody left for lunch.
“He’s a great guy. He’s awesome and honest,” Rodman told reporters after he returned to the US.
On ABC’s This Week, George Stephanopoulos quizzed Rodman about the bizarre friendship, and asked whether he was aware of Kim’s threats against the United States or the regime’s record on human rights.
“I didn’t look at all of that, I don’t condone that. I hate the fact that he’s doing that. But that’s a human being though. He let his guard down,” Rodman said.
Rodman now has more first-hand experience of the new North Korean leader than any other American.
“What I saw in that country…I saw that people respect him and his family,” said Rodman, adding that Kim has a message for the president: “Call him. I don’t want to do war.”
The basketball star offered a prescription for diplomacy: “Kim loves basketball. Obama loves basketball. Let’s start there.”
Rodman said he planned to go back to North Korea to “find out more about what’s really going on.”
North Korea provoked Western condemnation earlier this month with an underground nuclear test that was preceded by the launch of a long-range missile capable of transporting a warhead in December.
- 1Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 2Tsipras keeping promise, one refusal at a time
- 3Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 4Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 5Greek tourism looks for early deal to shift clouds from the sunshine
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 06:27 CET Indonesia to review ageing air force fleet after deadly crash
- 06:18 CET Crew of crashed TransAsia plane shut off working engine – source
- 05:13 CET China adopts new law to make networks, systems ‘controllable’
- 04:42 CET Hong Kong expects large pro-democracy rally as it marks 1997…
- 04:35 CET U.S.-Cuba deal to restore ties to be unveiled on Wednesday
- 04:01 CET Islamic State threatens to topple Hamas in Gaza
- 02:28 CET U.S. names new envoy for bid to close Guantanamo prison
- 23:19 CET Taiwan youth to China – Treat us like a country