Voice of Korea, the international broadcasting service of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, has posted on its YouTube account a full video report showing Kim Jung-un and Dennis Rodman watching a basketball game between the North Korea team and the Harlem Globetrotters.
The North Korean leader and the flamboyant former NBA star enter the Pyongyang stadium under thunderous applause and acclamations from the crowd. The few foreigners in attendance are visibly less enthusiastic than the North Korean spectators.
A whimsically cheerful music provides the soundtrack for the news item while a woman’s voice comments the broadcast and the game. The match ended with a 110-110 tie. More applause and acclamations for Kim Jung-un marked the end of the game as both teams exchanged parting gifts before everybody left for lunch.
“He’s a great guy. He’s awesome and honest,” Rodman told reporters after he returned to the US.
On ABC’s This Week, George Stephanopoulos quizzed Rodman about the bizarre friendship, and asked whether he was aware of Kim’s threats against the United States or the regime’s record on human rights.
“I didn’t look at all of that, I don’t condone that. I hate the fact that he’s doing that. But that’s a human being though. He let his guard down,” Rodman said.
Rodman now has more first-hand experience of the new North Korean leader than any other American.
“What I saw in that country…I saw that people respect him and his family,” said Rodman, adding that Kim has a message for the president: “Call him. I don’t want to do war.”
The basketball star offered a prescription for diplomacy: “Kim loves basketball. Obama loves basketball. Let’s start there.”
Rodman said he planned to go back to North Korea to “find out more about what’s really going on.”
North Korea provoked Western condemnation earlier this month with an underground nuclear test that was preceded by the launch of a long-range missile capable of transporting a warhead in December.
- 1MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
- 4Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
- 5US Marines face a reduction in numbers in the debate over defense cuts
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside