Voice of Korea, the international broadcasting service of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, has posted on its YouTube account a full video report showing Kim Jung-un and Dennis Rodman watching a basketball game between the North Korea team and the Harlem Globetrotters.
The North Korean leader and the flamboyant former NBA star enter the Pyongyang stadium under thunderous applause and acclamations from the crowd. The few foreigners in attendance are visibly less enthusiastic than the North Korean spectators.
A whimsically cheerful music provides the soundtrack for the news item while a woman’s voice comments the broadcast and the game. The match ended with a 110-110 tie. More applause and acclamations for Kim Jung-un marked the end of the game as both teams exchanged parting gifts before everybody left for lunch.
“He’s a great guy. He’s awesome and honest,” Rodman told reporters after he returned to the US.
On ABC’s This Week, George Stephanopoulos quizzed Rodman about the bizarre friendship, and asked whether he was aware of Kim’s threats against the United States or the regime’s record on human rights.
“I didn’t look at all of that, I don’t condone that. I hate the fact that he’s doing that. But that’s a human being though. He let his guard down,” Rodman said.
Rodman now has more first-hand experience of the new North Korean leader than any other American.
“What I saw in that country…I saw that people respect him and his family,” said Rodman, adding that Kim has a message for the president: “Call him. I don’t want to do war.”
The basketball star offered a prescription for diplomacy: “Kim loves basketball. Obama loves basketball. Let’s start there.”
Rodman said he planned to go back to North Korea to “find out more about what’s really going on.”
North Korea provoked Western condemnation earlier this month with an underground nuclear test that was preceded by the launch of a long-range missile capable of transporting a warhead in December.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:22 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya – UNHCR
- 08:57 CET UN investigation finds corruption in Afghan police oversight…
- 03:00 CET Mexico confirms capture of Gulf Cartel leader
- 02:23 CET Thousands in Germany protest against Europe-U.S. trade deal
- 22:27 CET Greece wants EU/IMF deal but impasse could bring referendum -…
- 20:12 CET Islamist group claims attack on U.N. peacekeepers in Mali
- 18:17 CET French customs seize record 2.25 tonnes of cocaine off Martinique
- 17:49 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe says bonuses for public workers to stay