The United States called on Monday for a ban on drunk diplomats at budget debates at the United Nations.
“We make the modest proposal that the negotiating rooms should in future be an inebriation-free zone,” Joseph Torsella, deputy U.S. ambassador to the United Nations for management and reform, told the General Assembly’s budget committee.
“While my government is truly grateful for the strategic opportunities presented by some recent past practices, let’s save the champagne for toasting the successful end of the session, and do some credit to the Fifth Committee’s reputation in the process,” he said.
An annual vote of the budget committee – known as the Fifth Committee – on budgetary questions tends to come at Christmas time in late December. The debates often become heated marathon sessions that run into the early hours of the morning.
Diplomats who have participated sessions have told Reuters that it is not unusual to see delegates showing visible signs of having imbibed heavily.
Torsella called for more discipline from the United Nations’ 193 member states when discussing U.N. budgetary issues which are often divisive for developed and developing nations. He also urged delegations against U.N. procedural games, such as blocking discussions by failing to appear for meetings.
“If… negotiators do not arrive on time for meetings scheduled on nights and weekends, or simply refuse to meet on a specific item in order to run down the clock, we must conclude that they do not share a commitment to negotiating in good faith, and we will respond accordingly,” he said.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 5Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 15:21 CET Turkey’s G20 presidency becomes casualty of political turmoil
- 14:52 CET Germany’s Merkel says Catalonia must respect European treaties
- 14:49 CET Afghan man and woman given 100 lashes in public for adultery
- 14:18 CET Britain to make wording of EU referendum question more neutral
- 14:15 CET Migrants protest as Hungary shutters Budapest train station
- 14:03 CET South Africa’s government pledges transparency on nuclear agreement
- 13:49 CET Big guns in east Ukraine fall silent, two more die from wounds in…
- 13:39 CET Indonesia arrests alleged mastermind behind Orkim Harmony tanker…