Darkness fell and Port Said was shaken by another night of violence. Protestors hurled petrol bombs and stones at police officers who, they say, responded by firing tear gas and rubber bullets.
The Egyptian state news agency says 35 people have been injured and taken to hospital.
Earlier, people gathered outside the local government offices to protest against the ongoing detentions. The nearby headquarters of the security services was set on fire.
“We had never the intention to do anything to them”, said one man. “It was them who beat us.Violence was provoked each time by agents of the interior ministery, or police or a third party, or I don’t know who started beating us.”
Demonstrators were on their way back from the funeral of one of those killed at the weekend when their grief turned into anger.
There are those here who blame the police for deaths and injuries, claiming they use excessive force.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 10:37 CET Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan