Latvia’s government has applied to join the eurozone next year.
The Baltic country would become the 18th nation to become part of the single currency zone, which has been mired in crisis for the past four years.
Guntram Wolf, from the Bruegel Institute think-tank, said: “Latvia has made very significant progress in terms of adjusting its economy, getting ahead of the curve, being competitive.”
He added that “the chances are quite good” of the European Commission giving a positive verdict for Latvia to join this year.
The European Central Bank is also involved in making the evaluation, expected to be released in June.
“I think it is a good signal that countries are still interested in joining the eurozone despite all difficulties in the eurozone, I would take it as positive news,” said Wolf.
Latvia’s currency, the lat, has been pegged to the euro since 2005.
Opinion polls say nearly two-thirds of the population are against joining the single currency.
The appetite for adopting the euro has waned across much of eastern Europe after a series of sovereign bailouts that began with Greece in 2009.
- 1Would a Brexit create a weaker, more divided EU?
- 2Migrant crisis: EU ‘dream’ in jeopardy, says Avramopoulos
- 3NATO mission to help target people traffickers in Aegean Sea
- 4Europe Weekly: EU turns up heat over migrant crisis
- 5Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
latest europe news
Greece is given three months to tighten border controls
The 500 euro note – could its days be numbered?
NATO mission to help target people traffickers in Aegean Sea
Migrant crisis: EU ‘dream’ in jeopardy, says Avramopoulos
Migrant crisis: Surprise Turkey-Germany proposal for NATO help hijacks meeting