Bulgarians across the country staged new protests against their political leaders and poverty on the day celebrated as Liberation Day.
March 3 marks the 135th anniversary of Bulgaria’s freedom from the Ottoman Empire.
Organisers of Sunday’s protests called for calm as marchers mixed alongside the more traditional parades.
In the last two weeks, demonstrations which began against rocketing utility bills and low living standards turned into condemnation of the political system matched by civil unrest.
Bulgaria faces early elections in May in which protest votes could leave the main parties struggling to form a majority.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 9Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 14Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 15British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 16Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 17The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 18Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:55 CET Gulf Arabs demand return of state authority in Yemen
- 06:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. nears solution for safe disposal of Ebola waste
- 05:35 CET Mexico arrests drug lord Beltran Leyva posing as businessman
- 03:58 CET Palestinians draft U.N. resolution on ending Israel occupation
- 03:06 CET Greenland votes to hold parliamentary election in November
- 03:01 CET Greenland’s parliament votes to hold parliamentary election
- 01:16 CET Mexico captures drug lord Beltran Leyva – government source
- 01:08 CET Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital