More than 200,000 people gathered outside the Finance Ministry in Lisbon on Saturday, with scores more in cities across Portugal taking part in protests against austerity.
Many also demanded the centre-right government resign, as people in Portugal face a fall in living standards and rise in unemployment at the same time as the biggest tax hikes in living memory.
Directing her anger at the prime minister, this protester said: “I just want to tell Passos Coelho that I have the right to scream and show everyone how revolted I am at his incompetence, mediocrity and dishonesty – at everything.”
“If the government pays attention to what is happening and understands that the people are against them, they should get out. If not, this wont stop,” added another man out on the streets of Lisbon.
The mass of demonstrations coincides with the visit of representatives from the European Central Bank, European Commission and the International Monetary Fund. The so-called troika are in Lisbon for the seventh evaluation of Portugal’s 78-billion euro bailout programme.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Taiwanese protesters march against controversial textbook changes
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…