US Foreign Secretary, John Kerry, is set to attend the Friends of Syria conference in Rome on Thursday February 28, where he will meet the head of Syria’s opposition National Coalition, Moaz Al-Khatib.
A day earlier he attended a dinner with the foreign ministers of 23 transatlantic countries as part of his first European tour in the post, and at the conference he will be joined by his counterparts from France, Qatar and Turkey in the hope of finding a solution to the two-year conflict, that has killed an estimated 70,000 people so far.
This comes as a report from Norway’s TV 2 claims the Syrian regime deliberately targets health personnel.
In Aleppo they found an ambulance that has been struck by a missile and the city hospital in ruins. They also found doctors and nurses who run an underground clinic, and who are too afraid to show their faces. They say if they are identified by the authorities it will mean death.They say they deal with around 200 wounded every day and conduct around eight operations.
In the street outside they met a man with a five-year-old girl who was injured when a bomb struck her home.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 08:40 CET Malaysia Airlines denies crash report, says plane still missing
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest