US Foreign Secretary, John Kerry, is set to attend the Friends of Syria conference in Rome on Thursday February 28, where he will meet the head of Syria’s opposition National Coalition, Moaz Al-Khatib.
A day earlier he attended a dinner with the foreign ministers of 23 transatlantic countries as part of his first European tour in the post, and at the conference he will be joined by his counterparts from France, Qatar and Turkey in the hope of finding a solution to the two-year conflict, that has killed an estimated 70,000 people so far.
This comes as a report from Norway’s TV 2 claims the Syrian regime deliberately targets health personnel.
In Aleppo they found an ambulance that has been struck by a missile and the city hospital in ruins. They also found doctors and nurses who run an underground clinic, and who are too afraid to show their faces. They say if they are identified by the authorities it will mean death.They say they deal with around 200 wounded every day and conduct around eight operations.
In the street outside they met a man with a five-year-old girl who was injured when a bomb struck her home.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border