28/02/13 06:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
US Foreign Secretary, John Kerry, is set to attend the Friends of Syria conference in Rome on Thursday February 28, where he will meet the head of Syria’s opposition National Coalition, Moaz Al-Khatib.
A day earlier he attended a dinner with the foreign ministers of 23 transatlantic countries as part of his first European tour in the post, and at the conference he will be joined by his counterparts from France, Qatar and Turkey in the hope of finding a solution to the two-year conflict, that has killed an estimated 70,000 people so far.
This comes as a report from Norway’s TV 2 claims the Syrian regime deliberately targets health personnel.
In Aleppo they found an ambulance that has been struck by a missile and the city hospital in ruins. They also found doctors and nurses who run an underground clinic, and who are too afraid to show their faces. They say if they are identified by the authorities it will mean death.They say they deal with around 200 wounded every day and conduct around eight operations.
In the street outside they met a man with a five-year-old girl who was injured when a bomb struck her home.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET After Brexit: Roadmap for a leap in the dark
- 19:23 CET U.S. warns of possible Europe attacks, no specific threat
- 19:17 CET U.N. food agency prepares for deeper humanitarian crisis as battle…
- 18:53 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23-monitor
- 18:49 CET Kenyan president, rival meet after protests over vote body
- 18:44 CET Housing for refugees takes centre stage at Venice Architecture…
- 18:02 CET Israel’s settlement drive is becoming irreversible, diplomats fear
- 17:56 CET Paris plans to build migrant camp in north of city – mayor