Italian President Giorgio Napolitano cancelled a planned dinner meeting with Peer Steinbruek in Berlin on Wednesday February 27, after the German opposition chancellor candidate insulted two leaders from Italy’s February 24-25 election.
The Social Democrat – who will take on Chancellor Angela Merkel in Germany’s national election in September – was referring to Beppe Grillo, a former professional comedian, and ex-Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, whose alleged sexual exploits are well documented in the press.
Steinbruek said: “To a certain extent, I’m appalled that two clowns have won. One professional clown who is also not offended if you call him one – Grillo – and another who is clearly a clown with a testosterone boost.”
A spokesman for the gaff-prone German says he called the 87-year-old Italian President to clarify his comments, and they had a “friendly” conversation.
Napolitano, a former communist with no affiliation with either party, made it clear, however, that as head of state he would brook no insults to national pride.
While he did stand up for the candidates, unconfirmed reports in the Italian media said the President, who now faces a tough task appointing a new government, had expressed concern about “popularism” after the election at a private meeting in Germany.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 5Canada: Accident involving Airbus A320 hospitalises at least 25
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:13 CET Strong quakes strike off South Pacific islands
- 11:12 CET Strong quakes strike off South Pacific islands – USGS
- 11:09 CET Syria gets Russian arms under deals signed since conflict began -…
- 09:54 CET Greece says not backing down on debt relief goal
- 09:52 CET Iran summons Turkish charge d’affaires over Erdogan comments
- 09:49 CET Modi govt says to push for cow slaughter ban in India
- 09:13 CET Heavy rains trigger flood fears in Kashmir; 10 people buried alive
- 08:44 CET U.N. Secretary General to meet with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad